My English Bullterrier is loosing her hair.

My female bullterrier is loosing her hair. I have tried just about everything. She has been to the vet several times, and had scrapings to test for mange more than once. I have switched her food and stopped giving her treats, but none of these things are working. She will scratch herself to the point that she begins to bleed, as well as lick herself to the point that she is raw. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Asked by Member 1199615 on Nov 16th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Changing food is not a quick fix. You need to condition after using a moisturizing shampoo. She could be allergic to scented apple-mango tango/fru fru laundry detergents, cleaners, sprays, dryer beads, etc. She could be allergic to her flea meds- you can switch brands. She could be allergic to pesticides on the lawn- do not let her out on the grass within 48 hours of treatment. Dermasol will calm the affected area. What did your vet suggest- did you pay for testing? Finally, switching to a healthy food like Nutro sensitive skin & stomach is good, but not without all of the other changes above. If you have done all of these LIFESTYLE changes with no success, then it's time to spray the area with bitter apple no-chew and talk to your vet about prescription foods. Good luck! ^_^