my dog's stool looks like it is wrapped in some kind of shiny thing, it looks like a barrier/plastic, NORMAL? ?

Im not quite sure how to explain it. His stool is normally normal but today I noticed it was a bit shiny and when I picked it up it was literally wrapped/surrounded by some kind of barrier, I've never seen this before and his diet has always been the same. I'm just curious if this is normal, any help would be great,

Asked by Member 520098 on Sep 13th 2008 Tagged stool in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

It sounds to me like it was wrapped in mucous or a jelly like substance, perhaps?

If so, that is basically a result of an inflamed colon. That happens when a dog has some kind of lower gastrointestinal upset.

Now, it could be from something very benign and considered normal to happen every once in a while or it could be something more serious like worms or even disease.

More often than not, dogs eat something which does not agree with them and then their system overcompensates by protecting itself with a slimy gel like substance. An overactive colon goes into spasms a bit and diarrhea can resut.

If this happens again, or if he shows ANY signs of being sick or acts different in any way, take him to the vet as soon as you can.

Otherwise, it might simply be an isolated incident.

Good luck.....he's adorable, by the way!

Jack answered on Sep 14th.

Answers

Have him checked out by a vet, it doesn't sound normal.

PJ

Is the diet you feed high fat? Any treats you feed high fat? Usually a high fat diet will have a coating look to it. Without seeing the stool it is hard to say if we are talking about the same thing, but depending on diet or treats, could be normal. When my dogs eat a lot of raw beef it will be glossier than normal. Maybe he got into something you weren't aware of. If it doesn't change and you feel the diet is not the problem, consult with your vet.

PJ answered on 9/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Madeleine

Our 8 month old puppy had a big bone she stole from her big brother, she had never had a bone before. The huge kind you get at the pet store covered with beef flavoring. She ate alot of it I guess and the next day her bowels were very gel like and coated like that. I am guessing it was her system protecting itself and could have been the bone itself, she ate the knobby ends off. Don't bones become gel like over time, esp the marrow? She was fine the day after that, no complaints. Just clear gel covering her stools that 1 day. No more big ol' bones for her tho. Nasty!

Madeleine answered on 9/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer