Dob

My dogs is not eager to eat, So how to train him ?

My 3 month old GSD puppy is not eager to eat, but if I give him to eat kibble or puppy food he eats. So How can I train him ?

Will it be very late to give obedience training if we start the lesson at 4 or 5 month of age. Actually he is weak for illness (Now recovered).

I am first timer to own a dog, please help me.

Asked by Dob on Jan 29th 2012 Tagged gsd, obedience, training in Commands

Answers

Kibble can be used for training, but a lot of times you need a higher value treat. Have you tried any higher value treats, such as a piece of chicken or hotdog?
And food isn't the only thing that can be used for motivation. Anything that motivates the dog will work. Example, toys.

A lot of German Shepherds are picky eaters and not motivated by food.

What is more common in the breed (among high-level working/sport dogs) is training with a toy as enticement/reward. Trainers often use a ball-on-a-rope, or a tug toy.

You can also use "life rewards", such as not getting to go outside until he sits, or not getting his dinner without a sit. A common method for teaching leash walking "be a tree" uses no reward other than the chance to move forward (something dogs really want.)

And he's definitely not too old. Dogs of any age can be trained to a high level. If this is your first dog, I recommend reading as much as you can about dog training, and signing up for a puppy "kindergarten" class to get off to a good start.

You need to give him food that is extremely tasty. Usually wet food does the trick. You can also warm it up to make it have more flavor.

You can start training anytime you want, it depends on how eager a dog is to learn something.