My dog's cut smells horrible?

She has a cut on her back that smells terrible. I know it's infected and she's going to the vet on Monday (the soonest they could get me in). But I can smell her from across the room, it's horrible. I've been rinsing the cut in salt water and I tried giving her a bath and spraying her with doggie perfume, but the smell won't go away. Is there a way I can get rid of the smell until Monday, or will I just have to put up with it?

Asked by Member 866909 on Aug 12th 2009 Tagged woundcutsmellinfection in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Quit using salt water, please. Salt in a wound does nothing but make it more painful.
As for the smell, I cannot answer that question. Perhaps someone else can. Good luck.

B.J., CGC

Call your vet back or try to find an emergency vet if possible. By Monday she could have serious blood poisoning going on or gangrene or something worse. In the hot weather infection spreads really fast!

B.J., CGC answered on 8/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Jenny

You need to keep the wound clean and possibly find some doggy bandages. Or even some guaze would work. Use antibacterial medicine, but please ask your vet first as I'm not sure it's ok for dogs to use. Keep her occupied, because I'm sure if you can smell it across the room, she can too. a smelly cut isn't good. Try taking her to an emergency vet, like B.J. said above.

Hope all goes well!

Jenny answered on 8/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Have you tried to see if there is maggots in it.
I would only flush it throughly with water very good then wipe it with neosporin.
I would leave it til vet, but honestly I would take the dog in as an emergency.
I don't know how long the infection has went on but I would say not to wait see if there is a 24 hr. clinic for emergencies.
I have had to cut the hair around the area to see the wound, you may have to gently do that so the wound can breathe. With a dap of neosporin then the wound at least can be treated in a minor way til dog goes in. :)

Don't wait 'til Monday. That's too long. Get her into an emergency clinic so they can evaluate it, clean it properly and give her something to aid in the healing. I know you said that you can only get into your vet on Monday, but push them. Get pushy with them and I'm sure there will be an opening for you. And if not, again, get the dog to another vet or an emergency clinic.

Sonny Jim

Please take your dog to the vet now! If if smells that bad it is likely that something bad is going on with the wound. There are tons of serious infections a dog could get, as the other posters said.

It could be something minor and stinky, but you should ask your vet how she wants you to deal with these things when you see her. She or the vet techs can teach you about wound care at home.
Please stop the saltwater and the dog perfume immediately -- they are irritating the cut or wound. Saltwater is an old wives tale as far as open wounds.

You can go ahead and trim the hair around the wound with blunt nail scissors very carefully, don't pull. Then disinfect scissors. You can also rinse with tap water or even better, distilled water to get a look at it. Just pour the water gently over the wound. Also write down how it looked to tell the vet and take a notepad with you. Do not attempt to flush the wound by squirting water on it forcefully. Do not scrub.
Please take her now.

Sonny Jim answered on 8/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

DIESEL

get her to the ER her infection could go internally also the worse she gets the more money it will cost! please no saltwater and perfume will make the wound a lot worse she must be uncomfortable please take her to the ER.

DIESEL answered on 8/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer