My dogs butt bleeds, what should I do?

Well, my dog is healthy and happy and not to long ago I noticed she started to lick her butt all the time. It started to bleed and now she has scratches all over it. I've tried to wash the areas that are not all scratched up, but it but it seems to make it worse! What should I do? She really hates the vet and gets scared to death.

Asked by Member 530153 on Feb 22nd 2008 Tagged starbuttbleedsstratchlick in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

I understand how hard it is to take a dog to the vet when they are scared to death, but honestly, if there's a time to take a dog to the vet, this is IT.

She could have an obstruction, or she could have irritated the area by licking or chewing. Or, she could have an internal tumor on the lining of her anus.

Chances are it is something very simple, but even if it turned out to be something complicated, you want to catch it as soon as you can and get a definitive answer for what is going on with her.

More than likely, if you take her in, you'll find out what is up and be given an easy treatment/solution for the problem. The office visit will be over quickly. She's probably under more stress right now with whatever is going on with her than she'd be having with a 20 minute excursion to the vet.

Good luck, and please do go to the vet asap!

Jack answered on Feb 22nd.

Answers

Winston

I know your dog hates the vet and all...but you really should take her. Winston did this and he had worms. In the mean time clean the wound with some tea tree oil.

Winston answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Of course dogs don't like the vet! Anymore than you like seeing the doctor! But sometimes dogs need the vet (just as you need a doctor). There are some things that can be treated successfully at home (these kinds of things are discussed in the book, "Home Vet"). This is a situation where the vet is NEEDED.

My mom gets scared whenever she has to go to the doctor too...and I don't particularly enjoy a visit to the doctor either! But, in a case like yours, it is necessary!

First, why is there bleeding from the hind end? Is it a wound? Anal gland abscess? Blood from the rectum/anus? In any of these cases, there is no "home" rememdy!!!

Dogs lick wounds because it results in temporary relief (think chapped lips--you lick your lips b/c it soothes the burn, but it actually makes the lips more chapped when you do it!). You really need to get your dog to the vet so he/she can pin-point the problem so an appropriate solution can be found. Putting off a visit to the vet could make things much more cumbersome for both you (especially your pocketbook) and your pet...

Best wishes,

Yea, I hate the dr. too but when I got double pneumonia my dh dragged my butt there anyway...I guess it's because he loves me & it saved my life...love your dog that much!...To the vet ASAP

leon

you should take her to the vet.. it could be worms or almost anything... or she could need her anal cleaned the vet does that.... if she has been sitting on the floor and sliding all over the floor that may be what she needs... or it could be something more srious but you should really take her to the vet... would you rather watch her die or take her to the vet

leon answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer