My Dogs Bites his leash

My Dogs bites his leash when I walk. He is a 4 month old male GSD puppy. I prevent him to do this, but still he do this. He walks with me but biting and fighting with his leash, please help me how I can correct this behavior ?

Asked by Member 1091592 on Mar 5th 2012 Tagged bitingleash, biting in Leash Walking

Answers

There are several methods for training a good looseleash walk, or an obedience heel. He is still quite young so I recommend a clicker. First off, make sure the leash is high up on his neck & the D-ring is on the top of his neck..between his ears. Do not allow any slack in the leash that he can grab...but it does not need to be a "death grip" either. Give your cue..."walkies", then start off. As soon as he takes a step with you..click/treat/praise. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Then increase the number of steps...2 steps..c/t. The idea is to form an association of walking beside you means good things happen. If he does manage to get the leash in his teeth, simply stop & wait for him to stop. Walk nice=treat; bite leash=walk stops. It can take time, but it should work. Not enough characters here to explain other methods, but if you open a free account you can post in Behavior & Training. We can dialogue back & forth, plus you will get more responses than you will here.

Maggie

Get a metal chain leash, or one that has a chain section where it attaches to the collar.

Maggie used to bite the leash whenever we put it on, then we got a chain leash and the first time she tried it, she went CHOMP! on the chain and I could practically see the hairs go up on her neck. It's very unpleasant to bite into metal. A few times of that, and she no longer bit the leash. After we'd used the chain for a few months, we quietly switched back to leather and nylon leads, and she didn't try to bite them either since the metal one broke the habit. Mission accomplished!

Here is a chain lead like I'm talking about:
www.petco.com

Maggie answered on 3/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carter

I really agree with wiley. with the other comment i dont agree with the metal chain though.If your dog is still biting at the leash the training that wiley supplied i would say "eh" or "no" whenever he tries to chew or bite at it. If he is still chewing or biting at it after you have tried correcting him take it out of his mouth and say "eh" at the same time. I trained my sheltie not to do this. : )

Carter answered on 4/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer