Molly

my dog's behavior is getting worse and worse! Help!

I got Molly from the pound around 3 months ago and for the last few weeks she's been eating everything. she's crazy hyper no matter how much we play with her and she doesn't respond to spanking or me taking her toys away or even ignoring her! She's cost me probably around $300 in these last few weeks from eating leashes, belts, shoes, and most recently, my glasses. I love her to death but if I can't get this under control, I'll have to give her up. I've taken her to training classes at Petsmart (and she passed the beginners course!) gotten her all her shots, and am scheduling her to get spayed in a few weeks. She's about a year old. I don't know what to do! No matter how I try to discipline her, it's like she's not learning that she's not supposed to eat/tear up things, jump on people, bite at people's hands, etc. I'm at the end of my rope!

Asked by Molly on Aug 21st 2013 Tagged help, molly, lab, crazy, behavior, disipline, unsuccessful in Behavior & Training

Answers

Wow. Hate to say it but she's acting totally normal for her breed mix & age. It also sounds like a dog who has not been trained DAILY. One round of training only lays out what you must do every day
Why is she able to chew things? Pick them up. Put them out of reach. Crate her when you can't watch her.
Stop hitting her. It's not her fault she's a bratty teen with insufficient training. Sounds like she needs way more exercise.
If you can't give her at least 2 hours of physical exercise plus one hour of training per day perhaps you should rehome her.
This is a prime example of the need to do research before getting a dog. So many teen gsds & gsd mixes get thrown away at this age by people who are love with RinTinTin but have no idea of the amount of work it takes to get a superb adult.
Your dog can still be a great dog. Don't let her down. Dogs are forever, not disposable

I would put everything away. Walk around the house, thinking from your dog's perspective and put away anything that might seem fun to eat. Any time you catch her chewing something "bad," replace it with something "good." Restrict her movement to a few safe rooms and crate her when you are not home. I would get a ball and throw it forever and ever. Get her some playdates. Take her to the dog park. Take her for a swim; I bet she'll love it. Take her for a run or for hikes. Take her back to obedience class and maybe to day care for a day or two each week. She's bored and naughty and likely terribly smart because just look at those two intelligent, working breeds combined in one dog! They can go forever. The good news is that you're going to have the most loyal and loving dog ever. The bad news is you're going to be really tired for a while longer, but I promise that it is worth it.

Arya

Yeah... this is actually pretty normal behavior for a pup her age/breed. She doesn't fully understand the importance of house rules yet, and she has a HUGE abundance of energy.
She needs training practice pretty much every day. If you keep working with her, she will settle down into a very well-behaved adult, but if you don't keep up on training she'll forget all that she learned during the teenage stage and continue to be bratty as an adult. Look up videos for working on the Leave It command, super important.
You cannot leave her loose in the house. Left to her own devices, she will destroy everything. Section off part of the house with a gate and puppy proof it. Provide things she CAN chew on, like toys and bullysticks and antlers/horns etc. When she goes to chew on something else, redirect her to something that is her's. She will require supervision and A LOT of patience. Prevention is a good strategy.
Ignoring is good for jumping/biting, you just have to stay consistent with it.

Arya answered on 8/28/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

Stimulation stimulation stimulation. Calm calm calm. You must be in control, don't freak out, don't let out anger on her (she doesn't know she just chewed up that laptop cord!). I agree with the others, minimize the chewing as much as possible by keeping her contained.

Most dogs don't calm down until they're about 3 (tough news...), but the more you can stimulate her, the better your chance is. Try taking up an intense sport with her (pulling, roller-blade with her, do agility, flyball, swimming, etc) and work at least an hour or two a day... The more the better! Also get her brain-teasing food dispensers or a kong, teach her new tricks, put her through another training class to help keep her mind busy.

Just stick with her, and keep calm. Remember, a dog can't be calm until its master is in charge AND at peace. Don't let your frustration get the best of you....the craziest teen pooches always turn out the best.

Shasta answered on 9/23/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer