Chase

My dog won't touch organ meat! What do I do?

We've been feeding raw for about 2 months and Chase is fine with fish, pork and chicken, and even duck gizzards, but won't touch liver or kidney. We've tried room temp, cold, frozen, whole, sliced, chopped, pureed, covered in peanut butter, mixed with veggies, and if Chase picks it up, he immediately drops it, but usually he just sits at the opposite end of his crate and cries. I know Chase needs the nutrients in organ meat, so how can I get him to eat it?

Asked by Chase on Dec 30th 2011 in Raw Food

Answers

How about cooking it lightly, with a little seasoning? Sear it in a hot pan with a tiny bit of garlic salt or soy sauce- doesn't have to be cooked all the way through. Bruno goes bananas for cooked liver, might as well give it a try.

Try leaving it out for a set amount of time and if he doesn't eat it, he gets nothing until the next meal. Keep repeating. May take a few days for him to come around.
If he's able to hold out for more than five days, I'd look into a substitute. There is a way to substitute for liver by pureeing certain vegetables, but I'm not sure how to o it. Someone in the raw forums may know how.