Koda

My dog won't stop humping pillows

I have a 7 month old neutered mini Shepherd - he was neutered 7 weeks ago but won't leave blankets and pillows alone. Doesn't really hump other dogs but last night got himself....REALLY excited before I caught him and it took him awhile to well "go back in" and he seemed very uncomfortable. What do I do - it is a bit disturbing when he makes a mess so to speak

Asked by Koda on Nov 30th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Bernie Williams

If he was neutered 7 weeks ago, it is unlikely that this behavior is sexual in nature, but likely more the result of a dominance exercise. While he may not feel empowered enough to try to dominate other dog in this manner (yet!), that may change as he gets older. The best way to get dominance behavior of any kind under control is to begin a comprehensive obedience program that offers the dog a job to do in listening to and coordinating your commands, but also firmly estblishing his place in your family (his "pack"), with you well established unquestionably as his leader. If you are not well versed in obedience, then seek the help of a professional trainer. Your vet should have a number of local trainers he/she can recommend. Good luck! Looks like a beautiful dog!

Bernie Williams answered on 11/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't know, it sounds sexual to me if he's actually ejaculating... Some dogs masturbate. Gross to hear, but it's true. And some male puppies are sexually mature as young as 5 months, so he was probably already capable before he got snipped... I think you need to watch him like a hawk and stop him at the first start of humping the pillow. Since his neuter his hormone levels will be going down, and if you stop him from doing this it should cease as a habit without the hormones to motivate him.

If all else fails, give him a pillow he can use as a sex toy, and let him use only that one. when he feels the urge he'll go to it and not use your nice ones...

As an aside, there are MANY neutered male dogs that can still ejaculate, even if they were neutered as puppies. You're not alone.

Blue

Dogs think that there the rulers and there trying to show you who's the boss around here..

I look up this website and it will tell you how to stop your dog from humping people..HUMPING is the same thing..They hump pillows and they can do the same for a PERSON..So it really wont matter

www.dog

Poor little guy..He"ll grow out of this..Promise!!:D..

Dagger did the same but only i was the pillow LOL..

P.s. HES CUTE!!!:D:D

Blue answered on 11/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer