Herman

My dog won't stop barking for anything?

'Barking' might not be the right word, it's more of a howling, screaming, yowling, shriek; so loud it can be heard blocks away. He has severe anxiety and will be fine if he can be by my side, but that's not alway possible. I have to be outside in the pen with him-rain, snow, or wind. If I'm not he screams and screams and SCREAMS, not going to the bathroom(he waits till he's back inside to use my kitchen floor instead when I'm not looking). We live in the middle of town, the neighbors are complaining and there's a motel one business over that surely hears it. I've tried training him, I've tried exercising him to the point of exhaustion, nothing works. It's driving my neighbors and myself insane, it can't go on like this.

Asked by Herman on Apr 3rd 2014 in Barking

Answers

Here are some tips for dealing with minor cases:

* Leave a piece of clothing that smells like you, such as a shirt that you’ve worn recently.
* Don’t make a big fuss over arrivals and departures. Ignore your dog first for a few minutes when you get home, then pet him calmly.
* Use a certain word or action every time you leave that lets your dog know you will return.
* You can also ask your vet about drug therapy.

When treating dog separation anxiety, remember to never use punishment as this can aggravate the situation. Don’t place your pet in a crate as he might injure himself trying to escape. Getting another dog doesn’t help either because his anxiety is not just about being alone, it’s the result of being separated from you.

Willow

We had some issues with our Australian Shepherd doing that when we first adopted her. She was 9 months old. We tried a lot of different things but what worked the best for us was a change in behavior by using hand commands and a citrocel bark collar. The collar puts out a spray when the dog barks or yelps etc. Over two days time we had her calmed down and now we have to just show it to her and she quits the excessive barking. You have to be patient, no getting mad as that makes it worse for both of you. Gook luck, let us know how it goes.

Willow answered on 4/4/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you're dealing with separation anxiety in an extreme way to the point that you may not be able to keep him, you might consider medication while you work with a behaviorist on his issues.

Otis - Dachhund mix

I guess you have tried the big round kong that you put little treats in or dried dog food? Do you put the transistor radio on, well out of his reach, with talk-back radio (preferably a female speaking), or gentle music, perhaps a portable dvd(good movie) or cd player(with at least 24 tracks). (again, out of his reach) Take him for a good, long walk just before you have to go out. Whilst he is having a drink of water, you can just say, "I'll be back" and go. Throw a few treats around the house/unit, letting him see you do it and as long as they don't roll towards anything unsafe, again you can go whilst he is occupied.

Otis - Dachhund mix answered on 4/9/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer