My dog wont eat his food, what do I do?

My 11 year old boxer has suddenly stopped eating his food, he hasn't lost interest in it but it seems like he physically cannot eat it. We have taken him to the vets with it and they just said it's due to his age and theres nothing they can do. He has good days when he'll be back to his usual self and eat everything without trouble but theres not many of those days.

He'll go to his bowl when food is in it, and just kind of dip his head naer it, and slowly lick. It's the same when he's drinking water but he'll willingly do that. We've tried everything to give him but it's still the same. He'll eat the gravy from tinned dog food with gravy with ease but leave the meat etc. What do I do? What should I try to give him?

Asked by Member 1099313 on Mar 12th 2012 Tagged food, noteating in Pet Food

Answers

Did the vet look at his teeth or in his mouth? Reluctance to eat is often a sign of mouth pain, including gum disease, tumors, abscesses, broken teeth, etc. Especially if the dog will drink water and lick soft food, but won't chew hard food.

Age is no excuse for lack of appetite. Something is wrong. I would find a new vet who will take your concerns more seriously.

You can try putting his food through a blender and make it like baby food. That way, all he has to do is lick it and swallow it. Good Luck!

I would find another vet. It's like going to the doctor - if you're not happy, change if possible.
Previous vet misdiagnosed my 13 y.o. Kelpie last year and she had to be put down after incorrect medication. Good luck.
Also an upset tummy will prevent dog from eating solids.

SCOUT

My 13 yr old Min Pin has gotten finicky about eating. Most of the problem was her teeth but now that her teeth have been taken care of there are still days when all she does is go to her bowl sniff it then walk off. I am trying her on the Blue Buffalo Basics mixed with her old food and she is eating it up without any hesitation. But I have read some bad things about BB so I am just trying it for now. If i have any problems with it i will have to go to something else.

SCOUT answered on 4/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carter

I havent anything wrong with Blue Buffalo who could go wrong feeding their dog Natural holistic dog food? no soy,corn,or wheat, no by-products,and preservatives.The only way a dog will have a bad reaction to Blue Buffalo is if there is an allergy! as for the not eating the food. i would get a second opinion from a different vet if there is nothing wrong then i would blend the food up or buy canned dog food.

Carter answered on 4/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer