my dog won't eat his food unless i literally hand feed him?..

my almost 4 year old chihuahua doesn't eat unless i hand feed it to him. although this is cute, it is very inconvenient.. Sometimes i'm late for class or work because I'm sitting there waiting for him to eat his food out of my hand because he won't touch the food if i don't directly feed it to him and i feel bad if i leave without feeding it to him because he will go all day without eating until i can hand feed him at night... how do i get him to stop this and just eat out of his bowl??

Asked by Member 1057845 on Sep 21st 2011 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Bella

Try mixing in a some can dog food maybe that will make him want to eat his food:)

Bella answered on 9/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SNEAKERS

Mixing/changing Dog Food can be expensive and wasteful, it's a shame that the Food Companies don't make a Sample Pack of their selections, where you could try a different cupful every day, and see what they like better. But, it's possible that it may respond better to a different formula.

Also, many have left just a pinch/few little nuggets of their regular food, "hidden" around the house where they can find them. Frequently this can spur their appetite, specially when you are gone, assuming they are free to roam around, and you've left their food out where they can eat when they want to.

SNEAKERS answered on 9/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rocky

Mine does that at times mainly when hes sick hes a 6yr old chihuahua mix. I use to feed mine Cesar's food its not real high at walmart its in little white dishes but if you find one he likes you can by them in 12 packs. Then it may help him learn to eat without you doing it, just open it and walk out of the room for 5 mins or so. Hope it helps thats what I had to do

Rocky answered on 9/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wow he sure has you trained, doesn't he. This is a time for tough love. Put his food down, in a bowl, & leave it for 15 minutes. Then pick it up & he gets nothing...no treats, no hand fed kibbles, no table treats, until next meal time. For a large dog this might mean going all day, but I know smaller dogs might not tolerate this well.
So in your case, wait 2 hours & put the bowl back down again for 15 minutes, then pick it up again. I would do this when you have no class or work. It is important not to give in. He needs to learn that meals come in a bowl, not your hand (all the time).
Could it be the feeding bowl you use? Is it too deep? Taste like plastic? Try using a cookie sheet & spread the kibbles on it.

❤  Sadie ❤

If you drop the kibble on the floor or on a plate will he eat it?

I have dog sat for a yorkie who did the same thing. Sometimes I'll sitting there for over 15 minutes because he was a slow eater. If it went from my hand to the bowl he wouldn't eat it but if it went from my hand to a flat surface he'd eat it. Tough love didn't work for him. You could leave a bowl in front of him all day and he wouldn't be fed in the morning and would go all day without food even though it's sitting right in front of him. He would wait for me to come to feed him

❤ Sadie ❤ answered on 9/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Starbutt

I would make a game of it through it on the floor so your dog has to chase it have the bowl your dog eats out of so you can through it in this is gonna take time. As you through it tr=hrough it in your dogs bowl once in a while as the game gets more through more in the bowl and then next time put some in the bowl afew and do the game again but trhrough it in the bowl see if you dog eats what you put in if so continue the game next time more food and the game next time more till you have what ever yo need you dog to eat in a meal I think once you get to where you dog should have a meal the game should not go so long.

I don't feed my dogs by hand UNLESS SICK they are pampered when ill and I take care to see they are happy inside my dogss are outside all the time we have kids they didn't grow upwith and I don't trust them with the kids they come when there is no kids but 80 percent they are out side winter to.
Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 9/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

"Tough love didn't work for him. You could leave a bowl in front of him all day and he wouldn't be fed in the morning and would go all day without food even though it's sitting right in front of him."
That IS NOT tough love... with tough love you REMOVE the food and only put it down for 10 minutes at a time twice a day. The rest of the day they get nothing and will soon learn to eat when it is down.
Leaving food available all day and night will contribute to a fussy eater. It will also lead to spoiled food and/or wasted food.
My dogs all get fed once a day, in their crates, and what isn't eaten in 15 minutes gets picked up and put in the refrigerator until the next scheduled meal.
I have four and five pound toy poodles and they are not picky because they have learned that waiting for me to give them food by hand or give them "special" food will not work. Their food is in their dish once a day and unless they eat it then, it goes away and they will go hungry until the next meal.

Brody

I had the same "problem" with my dog. He's extremely submissive to people - he'll roll over for belly rubs from ANYONE. My solution was to bring a piece of fruit with me into the room where I feed him (which is not the kitchen), prepare his food, and before I put it down for him, eat my fruit. He sits there patiently watching me eat. Then when I put his food down, he knows that the alpha "dog" has eaten, and he now has permission to do so.

Brody answered on 1/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

andrew

i hand raised a yorkie who lost his mama dog when he was only 2 day's old.with my vet's help i had 24/7 duty for 8 wks. on goats milk... but as i weened to puppy food i noticed my yorkie would not eat unless from my hand. the vet was great said sometimes if the pups has a human mom they will alway only eat from your hand never from a bowl no matter what kind you use and small breeds are the ones who do this.my yorkie now 4 years old still will only eat from my hand and he will not eat for anyone but me.maybe your breeder helpped the mom dog out and this may be why your baby will only eat from your hand.mine too will eat slow and that is a good thing that way they do not get bloat from gulping food.bloat is deadly.i just get up 30 minutes early to keep it calm and make sure he eats well as small ones can have a drop in blood sugar if they don't eat. evening meals i am home for the rest of the day so no problem there. your baby may see this as the way of normal if breeder did this.

andrew answered on 2/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer