Junior

My dog won't eat breakfast, is that ok?

Junior is 150 lb Mastiff who is almost 2 years old. We switched his food about a month ago and stopped putting soft food with his hard food for breakfast. Since then he hasn't eaten breakfast. I would leave the bowl out for him to eat during the day but he tries to dump the bowl on the floor or scoots it across the room as far as he can get it. If we give him his daily amount of food for dinner he almost eats it all, but is that ok for him to just be eating once a day? I even cut back on giving him treats during the day so he wasn't eating that instead of his food. Should I just give in and mix some can food with his breakfast or just let him eat dinner only?

Thanks - Junior's mommy

Asked by Junior on Sep 17th 2010 Tagged mastiff, food, breakfast in Pet Food

Answers

He will do fine eating once a day. My last guy only ate at supper time & had no issues. Wiley only ate once a day until I got the pup, now he eats twice a day. I would give him the option of breakfast...no wet & if he hasn't eaten in 15 minutes pick it up. Most dogs will not starve themselves, so if he is not losing weight he will be fine with once a day. He may be using his *independence to see if you will breakdown & give him canned again.

I haven't fed my dog 2x a day since, she was 18 months. But, I will sneek in training treats, and other little tid bits during the day.
My dogs are all eating machines, I have never seen them full. :)
But, I think your dog is telling you he is full and he wants to wait.
I fed each day at 5pm. I know they will eat it all and I know that they won't be running around afterwards and possibly getting sick. I fear bloat, so I make it a good habit of feeding them late. :)

Maverick

Eating once a day is fine! He probably just isn't that hungry at breakfast or he would be gulping it down. As long as Junior is at a healthy weight and doesn't seem to be sickly than I would say just start feeding once a day at dinner time! :)

Maverick answered on 9/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer