Muffin

My dog will not eat his dog food.He wants what we are eating.I know its our fault but how can I fix it?

how can I break my dog from human food?

Asked by Muffin on Sep 21st 2008 Tagged eatingproblems in Answers

Answers

Gio

It's really quite easy. Stop giving him human food and only give him dog food. He might refuse it for a while, but it won't harm him to go hungry for a day or two. Eventually, if you are strong, he will eat his dog food.

Put down his bowl of food, leave it out for 15 minutes, if he hasn't eaten it then pick up the bowl and put it away until next meal time. No snacks in between. If he eats, he only eats his dog food.

Gio answered on 9/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Gio is 100% correct & good luck!

Yep, Gio is right, as usual.
My German Shepherd was so used to getting table scraps that she'd refuse her dog food unless there was nothing else to eat and even then only when she was very hungry. We stopped giving her scraps so often, and after a few weeks she will eat her dog food as soon as I am done pouring it.

Layla

Gio is on the money!
Dogs wont starve themselves so dont give in to Muffin. You have to be strong or you'll have this problem for a long time to come!

Layla answered on 9/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dont fix whats not broken. Good food is good food. There is virtually no such thing as good "dog food". The very best is garbage compared to food that you would eat. Why feed your dog anything you wouldnt eat? I will temper that statement just a bit and add that I do keep some wet and dry food around for occasions but they rerely even smell it and I end up throwing it out. Get creative and realize they dont eat that crap because they dont like crap. They are the best of family, treat them better than you would yourself. Let them eat steak, you eat bread if you have to. BTW my dogs love carrots, rice, pastas, and even grain breads with butter, just like me. One of them even eats salad!