My dog tore a couple of his neuter stitches and now the wound is gaping. It's 11 at night. Wound is closed with bandaid.

I recently adopted a dog from my local animal shelter three days ago. I took him to the vet within five minutes of signing the adoption papers. He'd been neutered by the shelter, but the vet couldn't tell me how recent it was. He's been licking himself quite a bit and my family realized he still has stitches that he's been worrying, so we put an e-collar on him to stop the biting and save the stitches. He stopped after that day and we were able to leave him without the collar the next day. However, he's managed to tear his stitches and now the wound is gaping and bleeding. We managed to close the wound using a bandaid to pull the incision back together and the bleeding seems to have stopped. He's simply asleep. He's not warm or groaning in pain unless he tries to walk around. I plan to take him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. Any advice on what to do until then?

Asked by Member 863786 on Aug 2nd 2009 Tagged stitches, neuter, torn, gaping in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

It probably won't even need to be restitched...You are fine until morning.

Katie

If it's not bleeding, he's probably OK until you get him to the vet tomorrow. Put his bed or crate where you can hear him at night, in case he takes a turn for the worse, and keep the Elizabethan collar on him so he can't worry the stitches or band-aid.

I'm surprised the animal shelter didn't give you any post-op instructions - at our county pound, we were given lots of information regarding Katie's spay surgery. They did the surgery in the morning, and we took her home that afternoon. If your animal shelter follows that same model, your dog's stitches are probably fairly new.

Just keep him comfortable, and it's only a few hours now until you can get him to the vet. I hope he's doing better soon!

Congrats on your new dog! Rescues are the BEST!! :-)

Katie answered on 8/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer