Buckeye

My dog suddenly attacked our other dog today. What should we do?

We were all just sitting on the couch when our 4 year old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier broke out in to a fight with our 1 year old Wheaten, Brutus. We luckily stopped them and no one got hurt, but why would Buckeye do this? It all happened so suddenly. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Asked by Buckeye on Mar 9th 2010 Tagged fight, buckeye, brutus, wheatenterriers in Aggression

Answers

Hector

Since you never know when this is going to happen, I would recommend not leaving them alone together.

My pit attacked my oldest dog. It came out of thin air. They were while outside while I was inside. My oldest came in with a ripped open neck, and had he been a smaller dog, he wouldn't have survived this attack. My pit is about 70 lbs, and my oldest was more than 120lbs at the time, so he was able to sustain the injury. It took two surgeries to repair his neck. Again, he was lucky to have had enough hide to protect vital veins.

I have fenced acreage, and my oldest only goes out when I am out, for the most part, but sometimes gets excited over a dog near the fence and runs out. I always go with him if my pit is out. I NEVER leave it to chance.

Please don't assume this won't happen again. Separate them while you are gone, watch closely when you're home.

I don't know if it is fixable, but until you know for sure, don't leave it to chance.

Best of luck!!!

Hector answered on 3/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I will tell you a story. This guy had 2 dogs for a couple years (male and female) and he thought they were the best of friends. Never a problem, never a snarl or snap.
He went to work, like he always does and left his 2 dogs home to keep each other company.
He walked through the door and was greeted by 2 very bloody dogs. For whatever reason, they fought while he was gone and there was no one to stop it. Both dogs were mangled pretty good and required numerous stitches.
He now crates them apart when he leaves the house.
It's hard to say what could have triggered an attack from Buckeye. Keep a watch on both dogs and separate when unsupervised.
All my best to you.

Nearly anything can precipitate a fight like this and sometimes it's something that we never figure out...the communication between the dogs is that subtle.

But if it happens again (or if it's happened before), I think you really need to see a trainer or behaviorist.

I remember seeing a post you did here about Buckeye (I think it was Buckeye and not the other dog) having some personality changes with regards to his walks. That's unusual and suggests that something is going on lately that is bothering him.

Sometimes, dogs have underlying physical issues that can cause aggression, so do take him for a full check up.

But more often, aggression that seems to appear "out of the blue" is actually the inevitable result of a pattern of behavior and ingrained triggers that you just don't see.

So that is why having a professional to help you, someone who can evaluate the dogs in person is the best way to go here in terms of WHY and also prevention of it happening again.

Terriers are a very fiesty breed and quick to get into a fight, particularly male terriers. Very seldom can two male terriers live in harmony without fighting. Brutus is now approaching maturity and I am sure that Buckeye is doing all he can to keep his status as top dog intact. Perhaps a good behaviorist can help you recognize the signs of an impending challenge, but, until this is worked out I would not leave those dogs alone ever! Hopefully, Brutus is already neutered, as well as Buckeye...if not, that would be my first recommendation.

the dog could be guarding you. So with this dog it looses it's couch privileges period.
You get up and tell the dog to get down. If he refuses you make him get off.
Is this the dog who is got the hypo-thyroid. That can make the dog moody and the meds can too.
I would say you have to lay down some rules and he looses priveleges if he aggresses in any way.
animals get jealious of other dogs.