My dog poops in the house after i have left

I got my rescue dog at 8 mo and she is now 1 year. she has learned everything quite well except not to poop in the house. She usually never messes in the house while someone is there, it is just when we leave. Others in the house have nicknamed them "spite poops" as it seems out of spite. I thought it may be anxiety, and I have tried leaving treats when I leave, leaving the tv on, & buying time consuming toys. They have not seemed to be effective in this matter. I have tried giving her treats when she poops outside and constant praise. doesn't work. I resorted to rubbing her nose in it (I am against this but other people swear by it), crating her (she saw it as a punishment & hates the crate), and just plain scolding. Spanking is not an option as she was abused. She knows it is wrong she greets me with her ears down (only when she's done it). I will be moving into an apartment soon and cannot keep having this problem. Please help me; I want to keep her but I am at my wits end!

Asked by Member 869474 on Aug 20th 2009 Tagged poop, house, rescue, anxiety, potty in House Soiling

Answers

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

Enclosing link on crate training.
www.5min.com
It may not be easy because she is a year old. Since she does not do this when someone is home it's hard to catch her in the act.
It's a good idea to make sure she can't poop because she is empty before you go out. This mean no food within and hour of leaving, A long exercise session, walk, run etc. so she has to poop and pee.

Catching her in the act may require some "James Bond" skill and gadgets. Try to borrow a video baby monitor and an intercom or walky talky set. Act like your leaving, but one person stays behind to watch the video and use the walky or intercom to tell the dog "NO!" if she tries to squat to poop. This will be a surprise to the dog. Hopefully a few times and she will stop.

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 8/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stop rubbing her nose in it. That is completely useless and if you say she's been abused, I don't think she's too fond of that. Someone forcing her face down into fecal matter. That's just mean.
Don't yell either. When you walk in and you see she's pooped just go pick it up. Don't give her any attention. Right now all she knows is that every time she poops she gets some form of attention. Positive or negative, it's attention.
Just ignore her (no words, no eye contact, nothing) and clean it up. Go about what you need to do and continue to ignore her for a good 5 minutes after you've cleaned it up. If you do that every day, she'll start to understand that pooping in the house no longer gets her attention. Dogs love attention and maybe pooping in the house gets her the attention.
Is she getting enough exercise? Like 2-3 walks a day? Get her properly exercised and when you leave, she'll be pooped and sleep while you're gone. Exercise is a fantastic cure for a lot of misbehaving by dogs.

Rusty

Rusty has had the same problem. It is, as you say you thought, probably related to separation anxiety. There are several things you should do to help combat the issue.

1. Don't have a predictable routine for leaving the house. It creates an opportunity for the anxiety to build.

2. Build her confidence by doing obedience training with her.

3. If she reacts to the sights and sounds around her, block her view from the windows and play some calming music. (There is a book and CD call Through a Dog's Ear that is very helpful.)

4. Get her on Rescue Remedy - it is an over the counter homeopathic remedy that works wonders!

Good luck! I know you can do it!

Rusty answered on 8/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have the same exact problem. Yes people do swear by rubbing their face in the poo. You have to at least verbally scold him. To ignore it makes no sense. My dog knows he has done wrong and will hide his potty moments. You have to confine him to train him (its only temporary). My dog hates the crate but will stand to be gated in the bathroom with toys, food, and water. Where my bathroom is I can keep constant watch over him. He will not eliminate in front of me in the house. I can then take him out every couple of hours. If I leave he still poops but at least its in the bathroom where its easy to clean up. Another dog might help w/ the separation (try borrowing a friend's dog and see what happens). Also dogs usually have to poop after eating. I plan to try only feeding the dog once a day and then take him out. Right now he goes about twice a day but he eats whenever he wants from his feeder.