My dog ONLY growls and shows teeth at me when my face gets near her food, bones, and treats?

I have a 8 months old Siberian Husky ever since she was 8 weeks old.

Recently, my dog has become pretty aggressive when I put my face near when she's eating or chewing a bone.

I know it sounds pretty stupid to put my face by her when she has yummy treats, but I heard no matter what, your dog's never supposed to growl and show teeth to her owner.

And actually, I've been bitten at least three times, trying to get my face near her.

She's fine when I pet her face, head, and body when she's eating, but only time she turns to a demon is when my face gets near her.

She's just gotten down with her puppy class for 2 months, and she's good at tricks and stuff, but I don't know what to do when she's acting like she's protecting her food and stuff.

She thinks she's the boss of me, right?

So any advice on how to correct that behavior besides getting her trained by a professional?

Please help my relationship with my pretty dog!!
Any advice and idea would be appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Asked by Member 919608 on May 22nd 2010 in Aggression

Answers

It's called Resource Guarding... no, she doesn't think she's the 'boss of you'. Continuing to put your face near her and having this scenario play out over and over will make it worse, not better, and is also very dangerous for you. It is a behavior that can be modified though.

Here's an article on Resource Guarding -- www.pbsmiles.org

Agree with Kolbe. It is resource guarding. The book "Mine" by Jean Donaldson is an excellent book all about this and how to fix the problem. To state the obvious...Don't put your face near hers when she is eating!!!

Also agree with Kolbe 100%. You're tempting fate here and making things worse rather than actually desensitizing her to your face in her face.

In fact, I'm surprised you'd even want to do this considering you've been bittern three times already!

I also agree with Kolbe that she's not trying to be "the boss" she's just guarding her resources.

The good news here? She's young-ish and this may be a plus when it comes to re-orienting her with this behavior.

But you'll need a professional trainer or behaviorist to help you. That's really the only way forward because you can read and experiment but then you risk wasting time and making things worse which in turn makes it harder to get her past some of this behavior.

Have you checked out www.cesarsway.com? This is the Dog Whisperer's website. He offers great tips and videos on how to deal with different behavior issues. Look up Possessive Aggression. Once you learn signs to look for you can stop the unwanted behaviors before they start. good luck!