my dog, of 6 year's dosen't like the new puppy, of three days. ( 9 weeks) please HELP?

Asked by Member 1002046 on Aug 26th 2010 in Socialization

Answers

You didn't bring the older one to meet the puppy before bringing it home? oops....

It's not unusual for the 'old dog' to tell the new dog off a few times. "My dish, my bed, my toys, etc."

It's up to you humans to tell the 'old dog' to cut it out and leave the puppy alone.

To ease tension, crate the puppy when you can't supervise it. Limit it's range to one or two rooms of your house so the older dog has more privileges. Feed them separately. Don't expect sharing or lovey dovey behavior right away.

If, on the other hand, the older dog can't be in sight of the puppy at all without losing it's mind and wants to kill it and anyone in between....then you need to re-home the puppy.

If you continue to need/want help, post in Forums as it is a back and forth discussion rather than a one time answer.

Bertha

Same thing happend to me. But my puppy was a mistake, we found her in a swamp. If your dog of 6 years was the only dog you had, its not getting all the attention it once had.

It's very early on and Belle and Bertha didn't get along AT ALL when I first got them. I gave Belle to a family for three days, and it didn't work out. We got Belle back. It took a few days for the dogs to get used to each other.

Their'll be some growling, but my dogs havn't bitten each other. Make sure you have two of everything. And give the puppy his.her own time, and the older dog as well. You can do things with both of them, as long as they don't feel left out.

I really hope this helps you some. Best wishes.

Bertha answered on 8/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wiley was also older when I got Squ'mey, & they did not meet first either. Others have given you some good tips. I would add make sure the older dog has a place to go to escape from the puppy when it gets too much. It took about 6 months for Wiley to truly accept the pup, but now they are best buds & seek each other out to play & sleep. Have patience & good luck.

most dogs need introduction to new family members at the shelter or at the adoption place first.
so since the dog is already there, seperate and rotate, most dogs need time to accept newbies and time to adjust , also pups are active and annoying to older dogs. If you take the time to rotate and let the dogs adjust in time it will get better. Unless, there is a problem with temperments. Some dogs do have dog aggression that will need to be addressed by your local trainer or behaviorists.

Maverick

Be patient. It will take time for the older dog to get used to the new pup. It could take a couple of weeks to a good month. Be patient-it takes time. Treat the pups equal and be sure to give your older pup just as much attention as before the new pup. :) They will become best pals before you know it!

Maverick answered on 8/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sparky

I have four dogs and they have occasional fights, I suggest the dog and pup sleep in seperate crates, that their food/water bowls are at least 6 feet apart and the same for their beds, keep the pup from constantly annoying the old dog, but don't let the 6 yr. old bully the pups either, seperate them when you can't supervise and if they steal each other's food, feed them in their crates or differant rooms. train them both and teach them that you are the pack leader. They will warm up to each other eventually.

Sparky answered on 8/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer