Fastidious

My dog needs a bath but it's cold outside and she can't stay in to dry.

My blue heeler really needs a bath (smelly) but the temperature outside is below freezing. I don't want to leave her inside for the amount of time it'll take for her to dry. What can I do?

Asked by Fastidious on Dec 23rd 2008 Tagged cold, bath, blueheeler, acd, smelly in Bathing

Answers

Gio

If you cannot allow her to dry inside and do not have access to a high velocity drier to dry her quickly, then do not bath her. Leaving her outside in below freezing temperatures while she is wet is NOT advisable. She must be completely dry before going back outside.

Gio answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 6 Report this answer

Teddy

Get one of those really absorbent towels like this: www.sitstay.com

You might have to delete any spaces dogster put in the link.

Teddy answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

poohba

what we do with our dogs is that we give them a bath in the shower then towel dry them of

poohba answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

I've taken Miss Buddie to the vet to have her bathed. They wash and dry her for me for not a lot of $$.

Miss Buddie answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dahlia

In our local area, there are several shops where you can bathe your dog there, using their equipment, including dryer, and they clean up after you!

I bathe my dog in the tub, towel dry her off as best as possible, then put lots of thick towels on her "throne" to absorb the rest.

Dahlia answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

I would definitely not bathe her if you can't make absolutely, completely sure she's dry before putting her back outside.

You can take her to Petco and have her bathed and dried properly, or you can let her in for the day.

By the way, is there a reason she's not allowed inside?

I hope she has a place outside that is heated all the time during this kind of weather, otherwise, he doggie coat alone isn't enough to keep her warm enough not to become ill or freeze.

Zackintosh CJ

Take her to a groomer where she can stay indoors till she is dry. If you can't do that then wait till it warms up to bathe her. Sometimes vets will bathe dogs for not alot of money. There are do it yourself dog washing places where you could take her. Those are cheaper than a groomer because your doing it, they may have a dryer you could use.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Stormy

Well... you can always get a hair dryer and help speed the process along. If theres a local PetSmart or Petco or dog groomer around Im sure they would be more than happy to schedule a bath for you. For a heeler it shouldnt be more than about $30 for a simple bath! Other than that you really dont have any other options if you dont want the dog in the house! Although after a bath I dont see why she couldnt stay in for an hour or long enough to get dry!!

Stormy answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 6 Report this answer

Chewbacca (Bacca)

Well, if you don't want to bring your dog inside long enough to bath and dry her, why bother? :-(

You say she is smelly but is this really an issue for you, if the dog is left outside most times anyway?

Why do you have even a dog? That's my final question. I'm guessing the good advice about bringing her to a groomer will fall on deaf ears as there is no way you'll pay to have it done properly.

So best way to give your dog a bath....bring it to the rescue shelter. They'll take care of it.

Chewbacca (Bacca) answered on 12/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 7 Report this answer

Georgia Peach

Can you put her in a heated bathroom with a heat lamp? Or can you use a hair dryer on her on a low setting ruffling her fur with an out of the dryer warm towel to speed drying? I am an inside doggie and we have a lovely doggie dryer that our mom uses on us with lots of fluffy towels!

Georgia Peach answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Go out and buy a crate big enough for her.
When you bathe her/him put them in it with 2/3 big towels and let them dry if you are afraid of her/him laying on the carpet wet/ or bed. Crates are very handy. And then put the crate in garage or shed until next time you need it. :)

MOOKIE

Did you try using the blow dryer.I use a slicker brush and a blow dryer to dry my poodles and pitbull.I think the brush helps it dry faster.

MOOKIE answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

lucky charm

My recommendation would be for you to surrender your dog immediately to the closest animal shelter. I have never understood why people like yourself get dogs to keep them outdoors what a waste. Dogs should be treated like the family members that they are! No one ask you to get a dog but I'm sure others will agree if your dog can't come inside long enough to dry you are not worthy of the unconditional love you get from your pet!

lucky charm answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Oprah

I'm sorry so many people are assuming you're a bad owner. We obviously don't have your whole story. I don't usually wash my dog in the winter. She stays in most of the time, so she's not usually that dirty. When she's been out in the rain or whatever, I use a couple of towels, but the thing I've found that works really well is PAPER towels. Luckily, my dog is small, so about three or four paper towels will dry her off and I toss all the wet ones into a plastic bag and put it in the trash, so there's no residual smell. It would probably take more than three for your dog. If you dry him/her as well as possible with towels, it shouldn't take too long to dry the rest of the way inside. A hairdryer on low temperature would probably help too.

Oprah answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

DiOGie became an angel 5/9/09

People, people! I think she means that in warm weather she puts the dog out to dry & can't do that when it's cold! Who wants a wet dog lying around the house in the winter?

My pup is only 10 lbs, so I let him shake off in the tub, then wrap him in towels & hold him til he's pretty much dry. He doesn't even like it when I use the hairdryer on myself.

DiOGie became an angel 5/9/09 answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Jaime

In freezing weather Mom bathes me right before bedtime, towel dries me as much as possible, then puts me in my crate with dry towels to snuggle in. In the morning I'm dry enough to go outside although there may have some dampish areas, like the groin.

I have noticed that a lot of stuff, like dried mud, will just brush out without the need for bathing but I sure don't mind a warm bath on a winter's night. As far as just smells, there's dry powder they sell at pet supply places that when shaken into the coat and left for awhile, absorb smells and are then brushed out. Baby powder or talcum might work.

Jaime answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kiko

Hey, those who are criticizing--the person who asked this question is a young woman who still lives with her parents, and the dog is actually her dad's. He doesn't take care of the dog the way he should, so she has taken it upon herself to do so. Perhaps you should have checked the profile before jumping all over her.

I agree with the others, either use a hair dryer and lots of towels to dry your dog, or go to a do it yourself place if you have the means to do that.

Kiko answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 6 Report this answer

Poor little doggie. It breaks my heart that he or she is outside in the first place. You should trade places with the dog and see how it feels to be outside in the cold. I love all animals. Bring the dog inside and you will have a friend for life that loves you more than he or she loves themselves. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!

Sable

I don't usually bathe my dog in the winter - but I do brush him thoroughly on a regular basis. Brushing removes most (if not all) of the dirt that builds up in his fur, and also helps distribute the body oils that keep his fur healthy.

When I do have to bathe him in the winter (usually when there's melting snow that turns to mud, which Sable likes to play in), I get in the tub with him (in a swimsuit), shut the shower curtain, and bathe him with a hand sprayer attached to the shower head. Then I drain the tub, rub him down with an old towel, and wait for him to shake himself off. I do that several times, then let him out of the tub and dry his feet, which I can't do in the tub. Then I rub him down with a second towel, as the first one is now soggy. After that, it only takes about an hour for him to dry, if that long - the humidity around here is pretty low.

Sable answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sparkles

You can't tell me there is absolutely no place in your house that you can leave the dog to dry? Come on? No mud room, basement laundry room, covered porch? Why is your dog outside in freezing temperatures in the first place? When Momma bathes us dogs (and there are six of us) she bathes us after our last outing towels us dry as best she can and sends us off to our beds which are INSIDE the house where it is warm.

Sparkles answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Quincy- FM TFE-II TDIAOV CGC

My dog is a therapy dog and needs to be thoroughly groomed every time we go in for visitations. That being said, we can't really avoid baths in the winter. In the winter, rather than a full bath when ever possible, I'll take a warm damp towel and wash him over with that, then just squirt him with some kind of fresh scent and do the other grooming stuff. When he does need a bath, though, I try to do it at night before bed, pull out his bedding in his crate and replace it with towels, and let him dry in there over night. That seems to work the best, that way he doesn't have to go outside wet. Hope that helps!

Quincy- FM TFE-II TDIAOV CGC answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

You are a sweet and thoughtful girl to take this on. I live at the beach in California where it is nearly impossible to get my 100lb golden/chow dry in winter. It is so damp here and we do not have heating that warms the entire house. My dog is getting old and I worry about him feeling the damp in his arthritic bones. I use many towels and we have a hot/cold beach shower in the yard. We bring him in and after towelling him, we do put another stack of dry towels on his bed. We have taken him in the garage to use the hair dryer but it takes a very long time because of his thick coat. I am also going to try that product called an Absorbee. It is a sort of shammy (for a car/boat) that is very absorbent and will take the water right off your car. He will enjoy just the petting and rubbing involved. A dryer will work but can be frightening for your dog. Try a few things and give yourself a bit of time -

Good luck and thank you for taking care and responsibility for your father's dog!

I wash both my dogs in the tub during the winter months and blow dry them. They can be kept in the bathroom on tile while you use the dryer and it can be done relatively quickly.

Go to a self-serve dog wash that offers everything, it will be a lot easier and quicker. Look on the web for one in your area, make sure they have a high speed forced air blow drier.

Schroeder***In Loving Memory

Why do you have a dog if you leave her outside 24/7? Is this some sort of status symbol or something? This is a living, breathing being with a heart and soul. What kind of lousy life must she lead to be kept outside especially this time of year? She looks miserable in her photo & I have no idea why you even bothered with a Dogster page since you clearly don't care about her....why the farce? She needs to be found a loving home where someone will be happy to let her live in the house & be part of a family...where she'll be cared about instead of a nuisance to the dogmom or dogdad.

Schroeder***In Loving Memory answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Wash him at night before going to bed. By the time you wake up he is dry and able to go outside again.

I wouldn't dream of keeping my dogs outside. There is a powder that you can use to put on your dog and brush his or her and that helps. I have a rescue dog that is not ready to try a bath yet and I use that on him.

Ginger

At first, I too was upset about someone leaving their dog outside in freezing weather but after I read about the circumstances, I can see that she does not have the power to change things. I had a father who liked dogs but saw them as "animals" not a family member like I do. He wouldn't let his dog in the house when it was cold,rainy or fireworks. It was very difficult for me to visit sometimes and I did my best to spend alot of time with the dog outside so I know how she feels. Perhaps you can wipe her body and paws with a damp cloth in winter and save money to buy a zip-up or velcro waterproof jacket and boots from a pet store, dog catalogue or on-line to make her more comfortable. I commend you for trying to do all you can to give this dog some quality of life. Hang in there. Someday you will have your own dog like me and be able to snuggle up with him/her on your bed if that's what you want.

Ginger answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Well I tell u what, I have 3 dogs in my apartment, German Shepard,(found in the street),which been here now 6 yrs.I have a Pekinese(found tied to a tree in a stormy night) been here 4 months,and I have a Border Collie, that they gave me when she was 2 months old..She will be 9 yrs, come March 1st.You can't even tell I have pets, no odor whatsoever. I bathe them in the bathtub, they each have their own towels, u just dry them off like u do urself. They have their own toothbrushes.My point is, if u really love ur pets they shouldn't be out in the cold anyway.My dogs have beds with their own blankets. I treat them like my kids, so I would never have them outside.Common sense is all it takes..I couldn't believe that question was even asked..

Jazmine Aure

I have the same problem...well with my grandmothers dog..she does not agree with having a dog in the house...so we have opened up the bottom of the house for the dog to sleep during the winter. When no one is home..i would bring her dog in for a warm bath..and put all kinds to towels on the floor of the bathroom...there i will dry him off with a large towel then finish it off with a blow dryer. then i will let him take a nap in frnt of the heater or the fire place..
I hope this advise helps..also if you dont want your dog roaming the house you can just leave him in one room..with the door closed..but be sure to check on him..take care!

Jazmine Aure answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Strider

I feel for you that you are powerless over house rules .
I hope that your Dad at least made a HEATED shelter for Fastidious for these cold winter nights.If not,make sure it's at the very least elevated off the ground and insulated.It's not a good idea to wash a dog in the winter time if being indoors is not an option so don't do it. A good brushing will help a lot--you can use your own brush if she doesn't have one and then just wash it. If you can get some cornstarch or baby powder AND she's DRY,you can sprinkle and work it into her coat and then brush it out and she'll smell better.
It's much better to put up with a smelly healthy dog then a sweet smelling one that has pneumonia!

Strider answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

My 90 lb yellow lab has a skin infection and we have to bath her in our tub every other day. I just make sure the bathroom is really warm and use my hairdryer to dry her off after towel drying. I would leave her in for as long as possible after bath.

Daisy Barrett

why not? is there some medical reason why she can't stay in? it does not take all that long for dogs to dry. you really have no choice but to leave her inside till she dries, you should get a shamwow they are great for absorbing water. it will take half the time to dry her.i could not imagine leaving my dogs outside in 40 degree weather,definately not below freezing even if they haven't had a bath in a week. my 2 dogs sleep under a thick blanket inside where it's 70 degrees in winter and summer.

Daisy Barrett answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Take your dog to a groomer !

Olly

Let your dog indoors if its that cold.
I would hate to be out in the freezing cold for that long.

Olly answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the people who are saying give her a bath at night so she can dry overnight. When I bathe my malamutes in winter I dry them off as best I can with towels in the tub and then put fleece blankets in their crates and on the floor where they lay. The fleece dries them faster than towels and keeps them warm. They need to be outside during the day when I work so I need to make sure their thick fur dries before putting them out and the fleece really helps.

DOG - 4/1/97  -  2/10/13

I have a blue heeler mix also. What I do in the winter to bath him is the dog wipes you can buy at any local store. I bought mine at Wal-Mart. They look like baby wipes in the blue plastic box. Work really well and remove that doggy smell. Then you won't have to let your dog be wet. Good luck.

DOG - 4/1/97 - 2/10/13 answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I use a blow dryer on my dogs

Tanner, CGC

I have 2 cocker spaniels. Its a pain but when its cold - I use the blow dryer to dry their fur after I bathe them.

Tanner, CGC answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Aries Tek-E-Nink MURPHY's Law

I totally understand.I'm sorry people are so quick to judge here without taking the time to read your story.We have 2 rough collies and 1sheltie.When I bathe them in the good weather I usually blow dry them outside since it's a very hairy job. And with their double coats, they stay wet forever! When I can't blow dry them outside-after towel drying them the best I can-I put them in our laundry room(it's the only room in the house without carpet)and shut the baby gate. I put down several thick towels for them to lay on.Then I brush them for a while & wait a while and then do it again off & on all afternoon until they are dry.Or try a waterless shampoo spray you brush thru-try drsfostersmith.com.
I also use a tiny bit of shampoo in a bucket of warm water and use a wringed out washcloth to rub them all over.I also brush some shower to shower powder thru their coats to keep them fresh smelling between baths.The self server dog washes are good too! Good luck!

Aries Tek-E-Nink MURPHY's Law answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Miko, Yoshi and  Sequoia

Hi There!
Well there are a couple of things you can try! I have Goldbadors, and at times they get a bit ripe smelling, depending on what they have found at the beach to roll in.
At Petco they have body wipes for dogs, not quite as good as a bath, but it helps some. When I have to breakdown and do the whole bath routine, I make sure I have several fluffy towels and I really try to get them dry with that, then I use the hair dryer on low.
Last weekend at the Flea Market, I bought that new TV product ShamWOW and WOW, it really gets them dry! I don't know how they absorb so much, but they really do the trick getting the dog dry. They are actually used by the Olympic diving team, so if it's OK for humans, it must be OK for dogs. Mine love their Sham Wow drying. Try it, you might be surprised. I am also using a new pet rock soap, by L.S Pink. It is biodegradable, and is made with Tea Tree Oil, it leaves their coats shiny and soft, it does not irritate their skin and it smells great!

Miko, Yoshi and Sequoia answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

maryjane

you could use the waterless shampoo then towel take a blow drier to your dog i do to mine in winter even thow i turn the heat up a bath time. One thing you can buy in lot s of doggie magazines drs foster and smith for one is a bath robe for your dog or really good coat. My dogs have a bath robe i put on after bath let them hang in house. You still should dry dog off good then put coat on dog should have coat anyway in that temp why put her out there in the first place do you wanna be left out in freezing weather i thank not. please buy a coat and bath rob blow dry your dog give treats for blow drying my dogs take to it fine .Or you could stick your dog in a room like utility room where your washer dryier is if big enough a dedacaded room for dog after bath put a bed and blankets to curl up in . brandy hall

maryjane answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kaya

i don't see anywhere in your profile where it says your dad won't allow the dog inside the house?

i would wash, towel dry as much as you can & create a place with lots of dry towels for your dog to get comfy until she's dry. my dogs don't care for the hair dryer so that's not an option with me. i haven't tried shamwow but i've always wanted to, to see if they really work!

if you can't keep her inside until she dries, take her to a vet or groomer who can.

you really should try to convince your dad to let her in the house as 1) it's too cold for her to be outside & 2) dogs are pack animals & don't thrive when left alone 24/7.

good luck...

Kaya answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ridge

In the past my admittedly somewhat fanatic owner has bought thrift shop clothing and altered it to fit his dogs, wool is good for extended outside stays or cotton sweatshirts for drying inside without making too much of a mess. When I was young and skinny I appreciated my wool sweater!

Ridge answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jake

Wow, some people amaze me... give her up to a shelter because you WANT to bathe her when she smells? I don't see a problem here. Rude folks.

I have the same problem... granted it doesn't get below 30 here in Louisiana; I have 2 big dogs, one being a cold-weather loving dog, and the other not so much...but I don't particularly like to let inside when wet. I usually make them stay outside until they are dry when it's warm, too.

Yep, either go to a groomer that way there are no worries or sacrafice a clean bathroom for an hour and towel her dry, maybe even whip out the blow drier for a few minutes.
:)
Hope she smells pretty when you're finished!

Jake answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Hog

When I need a bath my Mom and Dad waits until bedtime because I sleep in the house, and then bathes me just before bed. ISee if your Mom and Dad can put you in a room some where you can dry off in. And Mookie you need to calm down a bit there.

Hog "HOGGY" Lackey answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dega

If you can't bathe her or take her to a groomer, I use a spray bottle "dry bath" product that I can't recall the name of. It works well! You spray it on, rub it in a bit, and towel off. I'm dry in only a few minutes then and I no longer smell! You can buy such products at a local pet store or even at Wal Mart. Pet stores have a better selection tho. Hope this helps!

Dega answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

ADDY

Is there some kind of reason that you will not let Fastidous in the house? If it is so cold outside - why not? I have dogs that like to be outside, but not all the time....I give my friends a bath then let them rest in a warm bed snuggled under blankets - usually they stay until the next morn'.

ADDY answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tessa

A lot of doggy day care facilities sometimes host "you bathe your own dog" for 20$... you get an hour and have access to big tubs, great dryers and towels. You leave the mess and they clean it up!

Some pet stores sell great waterless bath sprays - they contain fresh scents which can sometimes combat the odor. But it sounds like your dog sounds like he/she needs a good lathering up :-)

Hope your furry friend can be smell free soon!!

Tessa answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sasha Suki LaRue

I guess I wonder why she can't be inside and if the temperature outside is that cold and she only stays outside, I hope she has warm quarters to stay in. Maybe she should wait for warm weather.

Sasha Suki LaRue answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Why NOT keep her inside until she is dry?

Perhaps keep her in a laundry room or somewhere you don't mind her getting things wet. Let her stay there for a couple hours.
Make sure to get off as much water as you can with towels first, then she will dry much faster. If possible turn up the heater for awhile too. The warmer, the better.

Whatever you do, just don't put her outside when she is still damp. You don't want her to get sick.

Chevy

The canine inn that I leave my dog at,when I am gone overnight, also gives him a bath each time he stays. She has a heated facility and doesn't charge extra for baths. My cousin takes her dog out there sometimes just so he can socialize with the other dogs and get a bath.

Chevy answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

why don't you spend the exact amount of time outside as you MAKE your dog, and then see if its such a hardship to ALLOW her to dry off inside. how heartless are you? people who cannot allow dogs in their precious homes DO NOT DESERVE TO HAVE ANIMALS!

Princess Ginger

I purchased a dry spray bath in a can. It goes on like a spray and dries like a powder you let it sit on for a couple of minutes then you brush it off of the dog. It is not the same as giving the dog an old fashioned bath but it will get rid of the smell until you can either take the dog to the groomer or to the do it yourself dog bath place. I purchased the dry bath shampoo right at PetSmart.

Princess Ginger answered on 1/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

moon

I WASH MY DOG IN THE SHOWER, THEN TOWEL DRY AND BLOW DRY.... THEN SOME BABY POWDER AND SHE IS GOOD AS NEW

moon answered on 1/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brooke

I hope this doesn't mean that your dog lives outside. No dog should live outside, epsecially in "below freezing' conditions as you've described. Please consider bringing her inside with her family!!
Thank you.

Brooke answered on 1/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I live in the deep South Texas it doesn't get cold very offten. When it does get cold I used a blow dryer on low setting.

ODIE

I have a heeler, I use a big bath towel to get the big wet off of her, then I lay another towel on the floor where she will lie down until all the way dry. That way she does not stink, and won't freeze outside. The absorbant bath towel cuts the drying time way down so the house does not smell like wet dog.

ODIE answered on 1/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have found unscented baby wipes very handy when a bath is not possible for whatever reason. They will keep your dog clean and soft until the next opportunity for a wet wash arises!
Catrine Darriet-Jones
Great-Britain

Tessa

I have been wondering this myself. I live in CA. But we have been getting 30-40 degree temps. The other day I waited until no one was home so I gave my beagle a bath in the shower and towel dried her. Then we sat together for awhile and I took a small towel and just rubbed her. SHe dried off quickly and got some extra love and attention. I think the whole time was only about 30 min. Cheaper than taking her to Petco. But it did take a little while to find the quality of time to do this project

Tessa answered on 1/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Curly Jean

Lots of good advice here for approaches to performing the bath and drying following. I'm just wondering if simply waiting for a turn in the weather might be best option?

Curly Jean answered on 1/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My Dad washes me in the shower early evening, then my Mom dries me the best she can with towels, and then I have run of the house for about 30 minutes and then I go under the covers with Mom n Dad until 4:30 in the morning when Dad gets up...I am always dry by then....

Cupcake

My mom turns up the heat and gives us a bath after our last walk of the night. She dries us off as best she can and then we just hang out inside and finish drying off since we are in for the night we do not get cold and we wake up clean and dry. :)

Cupcake answered on 1/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shamps

Your dog looks like a large dog to me so a lot of (helpful) suggestions people have are not tailored to your specific needs. Also the vet is a great place to take your animal for a bath, but what people didn't tell you is that you have to make an appointment with a vet (who might not have any available anytime soon) or if the vet has walk in scheduling it is not during times when you can go. I recommend finding a pet grooming place near you. They do not necessarily have to be low quality. I received deals in the newspaper all the time. I used to live in a small town that did not have a petsmart... The vet did turn out to be the cheapest place to get my dog groomed, but it was not when I wanted it done. I recommend to you a spray on/wipe off shampoo www.walmart.com This one is a fave of mine.

Shamps answered on 1/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm so sad you leave your dog outside in below freezing weather. Poor girl. Can't she at least come in at night time and then she could dry from a bath overnight?

My dear,

It might be a good idea to give your dog to a loving family who doesn't mind the smell...I run a Dog Care business in NY and I do everything in the home...including the grooming, so the animal never leaves the home...it's the most loving and efficient way to take care ofyour animal. No dog should be left in the below freezing temperatures...here in NY we would report you to the authorities.
PLEASE, do yourself and your pet a favor, and have him/her adopted out to a family who believes in "in home care". You will be a more responsible owner, and your pet will live a longer and happier life.

Sincerely,
Ann of NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Bring the dog iniside. Why is he outside anyway.. would you ge happy out there..!!
No animal deseres to be isolated like that

There is a wonder product called FURminator waterless deShedding sampooand conditioner. I use it on my 60 lb. rescue, Gracie. You just spray it on, rub it in good with your hands down to the skin and then towel off. It really seems to clean and not just cover up the smell. It is not a sickly sweet smell; just a fresh smell. I've used it all winter in Gracie because I can't handle her in the tub! I think they have a website FURminator.com, but you can get it at Amazon too. Hope this helps.

take her to the groomer or blow dry her

Sheba

Well the only suggestion i have is to give her a bath in the bathtub. I would just get a towel that you are not going to use ever again and have that be a dog towel. Or if you dont care if you use that towel again then just wash it and use it for yourself if you dont care your dog used it. If you have the towel just dry her off really good in the bathroom so that she can air dry inside without dripping all over.

I hope i was able to assist.
:)

Sheba answered on 7/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

you should take your dog a bath in your bath tub so after the dog gets out you can dry it with a towel

CHAZ

Curious... How have you handled this problem? I would never keep a dog outside, but I admire you for trying to spend more time with Fastidious and being his friend. Sounds like he is terrified of your father. Maybe you could find him a loving and caring home...under the circumstances, he would be much better off. Best of Luck.

CHAZ answered on 1/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

To some of the comments that said it was cruel to let this dog live outside, READ they never said the dog lives outside! They needed advise on giving the dog a bath when it is freezing outside. I would take it to a groomer, if you are worried yes dogs can get sick so make sure if you do give your pup a bath at home they are very dry!

Is there any reason she cannot stay inside to dry? i dont think you have any option. If its too cold to dry outside, then she'll have to come in. you could blow dry her with a hair dryer if you have one. If you put a heater on and towel dry her well first she shouldnt take that long to dry. if your worried about letting her inside, you could lock her in the laundry or a spare room.

Joey

just either dry her off with a towel or a hairdryer.

Joey answered on 8/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♣Duchess♣

I would say take her to a groomer and let them do it, they can get her nice and clean and smelling good! I did it when I had my Shih Tzu, she always came home smelling fresh with a nice clean coat.
And come on people, give her a break, ALOT of people leave their dogs outside, its perfectly FINE!!!! I cannot believe this question was asked? How rude is that?!?!? Shes fine, I do the same thing, and my dogs are as happy as could be. So if this kind of stuff bothers you, dont answer. Good Luck!!! =)
-Duchess

♣Duchess♣ answered on 12/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Just take your dog to petco or don't give her a bath at all you'll be able to last through the winter believe me, and to all the people who say this person is bad for having their dog outside. SHUT UP!!!!!! Dogs love it outside as long as they have a warm place to sleep

I would suggest that you locate a self-serve pet wash near you if at all possible or a groomer if a pet wash is not available. When bathing or showering with pets at home, owners tend to use water that is too warm for their dogs. It should be about 95 degrees. Warm air hair dryers or heat lamps can dry out their skin. Groomers and pet washes used forced air to blow off the water, not heat to dry. Chamois towels are great and should be used but won't dry well enough alone for him to be outside in the cold. Please don't take some of the other comments to heart. Many large and sporting breeds of dogs do just fine outside, even thrive, so long as they are provided with adequate shelter,a highly nutritious diet and care. You are obviously a caring and loving pet owner or you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.