Kronic

My dog Kronic has been itching the base of his tale where it meets his rear alot. He is losing his hair in that area.

Asked by Kronic on Jan 10th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

kiki

They have a gland just under the tail and close to the anus, sort of in between. Sometimes it fills up with a oily substance and does not drain. One of my dogs was scratching and digging alot in the tail area and that was the problem. You might want to take him to the vet and if that is the problem, ask the vet to show you how to clean it out or if you have a touchy stomach, don't ask! let the vet do it or groomers know how also. I hope he will be alright.

kiki answered on 1/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If you mean at the base of his tail where it meets his body it could be a flea allergy or he might just have dry skin...Take him to the vet & get it under control as he could develop a secondary infection in that spot.

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Kodi has a flea allergy and his symtoms were very similar. He was constantly biting at the base of his tail. My first vet would give him a $35 shot every month, of what turned out to be a form of benedryl. My second vet recomended clorfeniramine (brand name clortrimaton). I got a bottle of 100 tablets for $3 at Walmart.

She recomended two tablets twice a day for my 60lb dog. She also recommended it for my mom 7lbs Pom chi at 0.5 tablets a day.

It helped a lot, I use it for about a week at time, on the onset of symptoms. Of cource, any dog, especially with a flea allergy should be on flea preventitive. The meds are good to have on hand in case of breakthrough.

Talk to your vet about it.

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA answered on 1/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

As a Vet tech,there may be a few things going on.the most likely is that your pal has fleas and is having a reaction to them.This requires a Vet visit to get the reaction under control(please don't let the Vet give him steriods!)and to give you some flea preventative.
The other thing that may be going on is that your dog needs his anal glands emptied.these are @ glands that sit inside the rectum at the 4 & 7 o'clock positions.Your dog WILL need to go to the Vet for this condition as well.They need to be expressed and verify that there is no infection in them.
Good Luck

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 1/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer