My dog keeps licking the top of his feet & all hair is gone. What's going on?

My poodle is allergic to chicken so I stopped giving him all things with chicken in it. But he still licks the top of his feet & all hair is gone. What can I do?

Asked by Member 1140630 on Nov 14th 2012 in Allergies

Answers

What are you feeding him now? He may be allergic to grains or something else in the food. Feed him a grain free diet. Stay away from anything containing chicken, pork and beef as these are the most common meat allergies. Feed a dog food that's fish, turkey, duck, lamb or rabbit based.

Merrick is a good food, learn more about Merrick at www.merrickpetcare.com

Have you looked into feeding a raw or home prepared diet?

Home Prepared Diet - www.dogster.com

Raw Food Diet - www.dogster.com

The raw food diet is a fantastic diet, definitely the way to go.

Tiara

It sounds like allergies to me. My little girl here had much the same problems. I put her on the Nutro grain free fish formula, and her skin and coat look so much better. It may be worth a look.

Tiara answered on 11/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Like the other post said he could still be allergic to something in his food, or he may also have environmental allergies. You might try using PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray. It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and is amazing at helping with itchy spots/redness/dryness/etc. I use it for everything! Wash his feet well first then apply the spray as often as needed. It will help take away the itching or stinging sensation that is making him lick over and over. I find it to work really well! I hope this helps.