Roscoe the Racehound™

My dog keeps chewing his nails

What's up with that? It doesn't seem to bother him, he does it usually at night, just about everyday-or when he's laying around the house. The vet says that signs of an allergy usually show in the feet, buth e loked and there was nothing there. Can it be something else? or just a bad habit?

Asked by Roscoe the Racehound™ on Dec 18th 2007 Tagged feet, nails, chewing, biting in Grooming

Answers

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~

Well if he has food allergies, you can't tell by just looking at their paws. Angel would just lick and gnaw on them constantly. Also her face was itchy. Does he have any other symptoms?

You can always try changing his food and see what happens. Though it will take a few weeks for symptoms of food allergies to go away.

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~ answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cadillac CGC

go to the dogfoodproject.com to read about food and see what your food really contains. if it is an allergy you need to know the right foods to feed and how to choose a food. good luck.

Cadillac CGC answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddy

From the way you explained it, I seems that he is biting his nails, not messing with his feet because of allergies. My dog does this just about every morning, and I know of several other dogs that do the same. I think that it is just a habbit. It is actually kind of cute.

Buddy answered on 12/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sparky

It could be an allergy, or your pup could just be really board with nothing to do. Also check to see if his nails need to be trimmed or if anything is stuck inside his pads............

Sparky answered on 12/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My dog does this when her nails are too long for her. If I keep up with trimming them, she doesn't chew them.