My dog just ate a mold-able plastic retainer! Should I take him to the vet?

He's a one year old boxer and he just ate my mother's soft plastic retainer. He ate her other one about a week ago, but that was hard plastic and broke into sever pieces and I'm pretty sure he pooped that out. He also ate the case to this new soft plastic one. He's acting fine but his stomach is making all sorts of gurgling noises. At what point should I take him to the vet?

Asked by Member 990812 on Jun 7th 2010 Tagged foreignobject, stomach, boxer, ingest in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Heidi

Immediately! Any time a dog swallows something that is out of the norm for it to swallow, you should take it to the vet. It could get lodged in the opening to his small intestine, preventing him from digesting any food, thus staving him to death.

Heidi answered on 6/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gidget

This is a tough one. It really depends on the dog itself. My little Gidget is a chronic chewer and has chewed and eaten many things she should not have. She has always passed it in her stool.

Since she does this, I had a long conversation with my vet about it. He told me that some breeds will digest and pass just about anything, while other more fragile breeds can get an obstruction from the tiniest little thing.

He told me the warning signs I should watch for are feeling ill and not eating accompanied by diarrhea or constipation. He said though it didn't always mean it was something she ate, but since she is considered a chronic chewer, that I should always assume it was, and to bring her in. He said if no distress signs appeared then to watch the stool until it passed.

So watch for the warning signs, first sign of distress get him in to a vet ASAP. Meanwhile, watch the stool closely, if it passes, he will be fine.

Good luck!!

Gidget answered on 6/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Probably worth a trip to the vet. My orthodontist made a point of telling me that dogs LOVE retainers, so it's not uncommon for them to chew or swallow them. She gave me four plastic cases to keep them in - that way I can store them safely almost anywhere. It's expensive to treat the dog and to replace the appliance.

I wouldn't panic. Just watch him carefully. As long as he is still eating and having bowel movements, he should pass it. At the first sign of digestive upset, call the vet.