My dog is suddenly afraid of his food and water bowls!

My 8 year old Airedale/Shepard is very suddenly too scared to eat or drink from his bowls. We got him from the pound over 6 yrs ago and he's always been very skittish. He's eaten out of metal bowls in a raised holder for several years. Don't know what scared him, but he will NOT eat or drink unless we put his food directly on the floor or touch him while he drinks. We even tried ignoring him in the hopes that if he's hungry or thirsty enough he'd eat or drink, but no luck.

Asked by Member 1092932 on Feb 17th 2012 Tagged mydogissuddenlyafraidofhisfoodwaterbowls in Fears & Phobias

Answers

I would change his bowls to something else like plastic. Sometimes it only takes one thin g to scare them and they don't forget. It could be something that happened when you weren't there.

Have you tryed getting a different bowl? One that he cannot see a reflection in the bottom of the bowl. A ceramic bowl maybe. See if that works at all.