my dog is sneezing and blood is coming out of his nose. what is the cause and how can I stop the bleeding

my dog is sneezing and blood is coming from his right nostril. what can i do to help stop the bleeding

Asked by Member 1061724 on Oct 6th 2011 in Other Dogster.com

Answers

You should definitely see a vet. Unusual nasal discharge (including blood) can indicate a sinus infection. He could also have a foreign body (like a foxtail awn) stuck in his nose causing irritation. Foxtails usually need assistance to remove, they are barbed and can't come out on their own.

In the meantime, you might try what human sufferers of nosebleeds do... pack the affect nostril with absorbent material and pinch the nose above the nostrils until the bleeding stops.

Starbutt

I TAKE YOU DOG TO THE VET ASAP don't know the cause? can't see anything YUP to the vet blood is a red flag (no pun meant)

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 10/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Get your dog to the vet immediately! I don't know what this could be and you don't know what this could be, it's time for a vet trip.

I hope you indeed took your dog to a vet immediately! I thought I'd add that if you don't already have pet insurance PLEASE get it! It will save you money and possibly save your dog's life!!! It has saved me thousands of dollars and I was able to tell the vet 'keep my dog alive' versus 'euthanize'. One company that I'm sure of is 24PetWatch (we've had it 10 yrs). A new one that's supposed to be good & covers congenial & heredity illinesses is Trupanion. Good luck!