My dog is scared to eat out his bowl!

I have a 1yr and 4 months male puggle. He wont eat out his bowl for some reason. i know he is hungry but he wont eat. i try to put the bowl near his face to see if he will eat it but everytime the bowl gets near him he gets scared of it. he has done this before so i got him a new bowl then he was fine and ate everything i give him but now he is doing the same thing again.I switch him to a plastic bowl from a metal bowl, but his drinkg bowl is metal and has no problem from drink of that bowl. i dont want to get him a new bowl again. i had to hand feed him just to get him to eat and i dont want him to get the idea im going to do that every night. I just felt so bad because i know he is hungry and i dont want to put him to bed with out feeding him. I try puting some treats he likes but he is still scared to eat from the bowl. Please tell me what to do. He is not sick in anyway. He has lots of energy like a healthy dog but i sometimes think he has separation anxiety but im not sure.-vani

Asked by Member 526332 on Nov 5th 2007 Tagged tooscaredtoeat in Health & Wellness

Answers

TYSON-In Loving Memory

My dog tends to have these weird anxieties as well. I had to hand feed him last night because he was acting afraid of the bowls, unfortunately he is doing it with water as well and I just don't know what to do. I know he still has an appetite because he is begging for my food, but just refuses to eat out of his bowl. Not sure if something is wrong or if he is just training me a little. I just don't trust him enough to think that he will eat if he gets hungry enough so of course I resort to hand feeding.
I hope someone has a better answer to this!!

TYSON-In Loving Memory answered on 11/6/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Xena

Well I'm not sure if this is the cause of your problem, but when I bought a new bowl for Xena, I bought a metal bowl instead of a plastic bowl. She was terrified of the new metal bowl because her tags on her collar would hit the side of the bowl, and the sound scared her. She also didn't like the look of the bowl, maybe because she could see her reflection. Anyway, I took her collar off and put one of her favorite treats in the bowl. Then I just let her work up the courage on her own to go get the treat. I didn't push her, but when she would walk toward the bowl, I would encourage her by saying, "Good girl." Eventually she got close enough to grab the treat out and run away with it. After I did this a few times, she realized that the bowl was okay, and now she's fine with it.

Instead of buying another new bowl, you can try his first bowl again if you still have it. Or use one of your own bowls to encourage him to eat until you can convince him to use his own bowl again. Good luck!

Xena answered on 11/6/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Neikko - Adopted!!!!

Have you ever tried feeding him off of a paper plate? Or anything flat, just a regular plate. Pugs have flat faces and sometimes their eyes can rub on the sides of the bowl. Puggles may have a longer snout/nose but, he may take after the pug side. You've probably have already tried everything but, just in case I thought it might help.

Neikko - Adopted!!!! answered on 11/6/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer