my dog is having to pee so much

Hi I was wondering I have never dealt with this before but my Harley a golden retriever has been having accidents in the house wich has happend time to time but never while he is standing rite next to me so I have noticed the last couple of days that when I take him out that he just pees and pees but then Im thinking most of the time when there is a bladder infection involved they try to pee all the time but he never runs out of pee Im concern has anyone see this before?Thanks Harleys Mom

Asked by Member 562859 on Jan 25th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Chula

Harley may have a urinary tract infection. I would take him to the vet for a UA. My lab Chula gets UTI's from time to time and urinates every half hour. Sometimes right in front of me. Once we get her on meds she does fine.

Chula answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kona

Yep, good answer...go to the vet. :) sounds like a UTI. If your dog is on Lasix for diaretic then that causes them to pee right when they have to...no warning...right in front of you! My guess is it's probably the first one :) A urine sample will look for urinary tract infections, bladder infections, stones, and any crystals (struvite and oxylate). All these things can cause it so an analysis would tell you what's going on. If you find no medical reason, then maybe it's behavioral, especially if he's been going on the floor before. Sometimes they get into routine where they start thinking things are okay now, even if they knew the rules before. My opinion is that it's medical related so check it out with your vet. Once that's ruled out, you can discuss behavior modification and get him back to not pottying in the house at all. It's harder to break bad habits than it is to build good ones. So, you'll be back to square one with consistency if you find it's behavioral :) Good luck :)

Kona answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It could also be incontinence. Cookie has had a urinary tract infection twice before, so when she was leaving wet spots all over I though that maybe she had that again. A vet visit revealed that she had incontinence. Fortunately, there is a medication available for that now.