my dog is frequently urinating today what is the problem?

my dog pearl a weimeraner has been bleeding from her being in heat. and today she started urinating about every 2-5 minutes, she has to go outside. I'm assuming a bladder infection and want to know if any home remedy available before i go to the vet?

Asked by Member 1041988 on Jul 23rd 2011 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

You don't say how long she has been in heat, but it can be extremely normal for females to mark constantly, just like a male dog would mark. It is due to her trying to "spread her scent around" so more male dogs will notice it. This would be more common around the 10 to 14th day of heat.
On the other hand, it is NOT unusual for a UTI to develop since the swelling of the vulva compresses everything and can make it easier for bacteria to get into the urethia.
Finally, you also want to make sure she doesn't have a uterine infection, which can also be common with females in heat.
There is no at home remedy for UTI's or uterine infections...they are caused by bacteria and can multiply rapidly and create a very, very toxic dog in a hurry. Prescription antibiotics from your veterinarian are the only way to go.
This can be serious enough to seek out an emergency clinic and not wait until the weekend is over as she could easily become toxic by then if she does indeed have an infection.

Sounds like a UTI. I'd just take her to the vet and call it good. Every 2-5 min. sounds like whatever it is, it's pretty much impossible for her or you to continue going on this way.