Clifford

My dog is extremely fat hes a mini dauchsand and he wont stop eating cat food! he eats way to much what can i do?

I bring him for walks but he never runs and he trys to eat sticks! he wont exercise what so ever i dont even think a professional dog trainer could make him exercise and loose some weight, his name is clifford note he isnt a baby

Asked by Clifford on Jan 1st 2012 Tagged clifford in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

A dog will NEVER stop eating cat food on his own...you need to prevent access to it! I have cats as well as dogs and my cats have two places where they eat... one is in my bedroom and there is an expen around the cat food, the other is on my kitchen counter. In both cases the cats jump over or up, the dogs cannot reach it.
I also agree that you need to get this guy on an eating schedule and use part of his PRE-MEASURED food as his treats.
I would suggest you start with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of kibble per meal, twice a day. If you use a full cup twice a day as a previous poster suggested he will most likely GAIN WEIGHT!!!! My 20 lb poodle only gets 3/4 cup of kibble ONCE a day and no extra treats other than some of his kibble and he is not at all overweight, he's just right.
Obviously you need to start his walks out slowly.
Dachshunds are extremely prone to back issues and increased weight increases the chance of this happening!!!
Remember, he can only eat what YOU give him!

answered on Jan 2nd.

Answers

Jugs

You could give him mealtimes and not leave his food down for him to eat whenever he pleases. Just feed him twice a day about a cup each time. It's also a good way to get him into a routine. Take Clifford for a little walk, each day going a little farther and a little farther. Feed him AFTER the walk so he recognizes that once he walks with you, he will get his yummy food.

Jugs answered on 1/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Start feeding your cat up high, like on a counter or shelf. The cat can jump, the dog can't. Or if the cat isn't allowed on the counter, put the cat's food in a room behind a baby gate, or in a big box or something- again, the cat can jump, the dog can't. Just put it somewhere the cat can go, but he can't.

Then once cat food is no longer the problem, make sure he's eating the right amount of dog food to lose weight- use a measuring cup, don't estimate.

Exercise doesn't have to mean running- start with slow walking for short distances if that's all he can do. His endurance will get better once he starts to lose weight. Start with 20 minutes a day, (even just 10 if that's all he can manage) work up to an hour or two.

Good luck- I firmly believe any dog can lose weight and get healthier if their owner is committed to the goal.

I have a dauchsund too and the only way to control his weight is to feed him proportions at certain times a day. As for the cat food issue, I have faced the same thing. We ended up having to feed the cat in a separate room and shut the door. I know someone else already suggested feeding the cat high up and that will work too. Good luck!

-Put the cat food where he cannot get to it. If he is tearing into the bags, There are plastic containers you can buy to place the kitty kibble in.
-If you're not already, use scheduled once-a-day feedings.
-Do not let him eat anything other than his meals. Any treats you do feed, such as training treats, need to be very small. You can take a large treat and break it down into lots of small treats. Consider subtracting a bit from his meals for any treats given.
-Look at the library for a book on teaching a dog tricks using positive reinforcement. Actually, you can even find advice for this with a Google search.
-Go for walks daily.

Dachshunds are prone to back trouble and the dog being overweight is asking for trouble.

P.S. Dogs like to chew on lots of things. I rather doubt he is chewing on sticks because he thinks he's not getting enough to eat.

Anywho, keep on keeping on. It may take time, but you CAN help your dog lose weight.

How I stopped my dogs from eating the cat food was I would "watch" the cat food. When they would go to sniff it, I would make "angry" noises. This only works if you are the "dominate". If not, use a squirt gun. When they go to sniff, squirt them with water. Try not to let them see you do it or act like you didn't do it.That way they will think them just "thinking" of eating the food did it.

Also, PLEASE find a way to stop them. Cat food is dangerous for dogs. It contains Taurine for their eyesight and it is bad for dogs. Can cause kidney failure in smaller dogs.
Good luck.