my dog is a chiwawa and she is about 62 63 days pregnant and is leaking milk. is she going to deliver or whelp

we have a welping box ready

Asked by Member 1147416 on Dec 30th 2012 Tagged havingpuppies in Health & Wellness

Answers

Dogs pregnancy lasts about 63 days, so yes, she is probably going into labor or is about to. I would let your vet know, since very small dogs like Chihuahuas, often have complications during delivery. She (and her pups) should also have a vet visit shortly after delivery to make she she's ok and that there are not any more pups left in side her. Good Luck!

It is very common for Chihuahua's to need cesearian sections to deliver their puppies. Has she had a prebreeding exam? If not, I would get her to the vet immediately for that as going into unproductive labor can easily kill her newborn pups AND HER!!
63 days is the average length of pregnancy in a dog but they can go anywhere from 58 to 66 days and still be normal.
I would certainly at the very least call your vet so they can be on alert that they may need to do a c-section in the middle of the night, if you are not going to get her examined.