Skipper

My dog is 7 years old and has arthritis. How much baby asprin can i give my dog?

Unable to see a vet.

Asked by Skipper on Jan 20th 2010 in Arthritis

Answers

The vets have safer and more effective pain killers. Your dog would be much better off seeing the vet. Until you can, you can give 5 mg for every pound your dog weighs every 12 hours. The 81 mg tablets would be abour rigth for a 20 pound dog. Buffered aspirin is best. Don't give any of the newer OTC pain killers.

I would try to see a vet soon. Skipper might have something other than arthritis, and I agree that there are better ways to manage pain than baby aspirin. That's one of those remedies that is best left for short term pain, like that associated with surgery.

At least CALL a vet to describe the symptoms and get professional advice on the correct dosage for baby aspirin.

Tweeker (got his wings May 08)

Tweeker was a min schnauzer we adopted when he was between 5-7 years, she started showing signs of arthritis at about 9-11 yrs, slow to get up or lay down, would not jump, sometimes limp, etc.
What I did was go to drsfostersmith.com and ordered doggie asprin, a set of stairs so he didn't have to jump on to the couch or beds and got him a suppliment that had Glucosamine in it. You would look for a hip and joint suppliment. the pills are flavored and it really helped him. I continued the glucosamine but was able to stop giving the asprin. It was like nothing had ever been wrong.

Tweeker (got his wings May 08) answered on 1/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jada

Hi Skipper,
Aspirin is never good for dog and carries risks. I would consider some natural alternatives which will be much better in the long run. I have had my dog on a natural product called lubraflex for the past year and my Jada is doing so much better that i don't even realized that she had arthritis.

Jada answered on 2/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer