My dog has the perfect build for Agility but she is very scared of equipment. How can I help her?

She is a rescue dog so she is cared of loud noises and unfamiliar things. In Central Park she leaps over huge fences! Please Help!!

Asked by Abby on Mar 9th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

What if you pair her up with another, more confident dog for training? Or if YOU go over the obstacles ahead of the dog so she knows it's safe and can tell what you want her to do? Lots of treats, lots of praise, lots of love! Maybe start out in a safe, quiet, enclosed place OR at home so that the only new part is the equipment? Of course, you won't be able to do this with all agility equipment, but starting out this way might build her confidence?

Pineapple Smushface

I would start with a quiet lure. Once she realizes how much fun that she is having, she might not notice external noises. You can also use a dog whistle to redirect her attention. There also might be other dog parks that are better suited to animals where there aren't many strangers around. Also, I agree with Libby in that finding her a playmate will help her to boost her self-esteem. This dog needs to become better socialized before you start with official training, or you may not see positive results. ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 3/10/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You orient her first or show to her what other dogs are doing. Don't forget to reward her once she conquers her fear.