My dog has runny poo with a little blood.

We spent the weekend house sitting for my parents and i took my two dogs with me, she has three dogs, they have spent time together before so its nothing new for them. but when we came back home one of my dogs had the runs, i thought it was maybe the change in food since she ate some of my mothers dogs food, but it has lasted for about 2 weeks now and she has been pooing in her kennel which she never does, and i noticed last night she had a hint of blood in her stool, what can i do, should i try to feed her less to harden up her stool or should i just run her to the vet asap?

Asked by Member 820222 on Mar 19th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Best thing to do is try to get into the vet today or tomarrow. If you have to let it go until next week, a bland diet may work. If a dog is having trouble keeping anything down or continuing diarrhea try this out of the manual I have from a large, knowledgeable dog guide school.

Bland recovery diet for dogs.

3 parts cooked rice, one part boiled hamburger or chicken, or cottage cheese. I think you can substitute boiled potatoes for the rice. Once in an emergency, we bought a plain baked potato from Wendy's.

This is meant for short time settling a dog's digestive tract. It is not the complete and balanced diet they need long term. I have seen it work.

Diesel

Aster it right about the bland diet. It does though sound like worms. Is she on any kind of preventative ie. Interceptor, heart guard? Take a stool sample in to the vet and go from there

Diesel answered on 3/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Teddy

2 weeks is quite a while for runny stool, and now with a little blood in it, you probably should go ahead and get her checked out.

She is having behavior changes as well by pooing in her kennel, so something is up. It's best to just find out. It will make you feel better just knowing.

Good luck

Teddy answered on 3/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

you don't say how old but I would take him to the vet and then go back to the food you had him on some foods are usually the culprit for bloody stools which is sometime called colitius. It is irritation of the bowels and you will see blood in the stool

I agree with Aster about the bland diet. It does work and it's great for short-term (you can feed this up to about two weeks without any serious nutritional drawbacks) soothing of the colon and digestive tract.

Now, I personally would use boiled (not baked) chicken breast, not hamburger or cottage cheese only because I've sadly had a lot of experience with doggie diarrhea and that seems to be the most gentle things that all dogs seem to be able to handle. The hamburger can have too much fat in it for dogs who have really bad diarrhea.

So, I'd feed the boiled chicken breast with plain white rice and if she tolerates it well, feed her a bit more each time until she's eating about 10-15% more volume than her regular food. This is because this is so bland it won't fill her up as much as the same amount of her regular food.

I also agree that it's a good idea to take her to the vet now.

The blood can be from simple irritation to the colon/rectum, but don't take chances!