my dog has ripped her bed apart and pulled the stuffing out

We got our dog about 3 months ago from a rescue centre. She is roughly 2 yrs old. In the last 3 days she has ripped her bed apart and pulled all the stuffing out. I am at a loss, like I said we have had her 3 months and she has only just started doing it. We take her out for at least an hour everyday. She has never chewed anything else apart from her bed and only does it at night when we are in bed.

Asked by Member 979387 on Apr 3rd 2010 in Chewing

Answers

Isy

It could be she was uncomfortable. My girls will paw and dig to rearrange their bed, sometimes ripping it apart. Since she was from a rescue, I'm assuming she is spayed. But if it was done recently and she was in heat just before the spay only a few months ago, it could be left over nesting behavior.

Try different styles of beds. what I will do, is if I actually spend the rediculous amount of money on a bed, I will get garage sale comforters and put them over the top. Then if she gets fussy, she rips up the comforter and not the bed. Others will probably chime in with crating info. We don't crate so can't give you insider tips there.

Isy answered on 4/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gidget

Since it is only at night, I am thinking she may be a little restless. If my youngest hasn't exerted enough energy throughout the day, then she displays this behavior as well.

Try taking her out again a little before bedtime. Give her a long walk, or even just some play time in your yard or house if she is a smaller dog. Do things to stimulater her at about an hour before bedtime. This will give her time to come back in and unwind and be ready to sleep thoughout the night.

Some dogs who have higher energy levels will require more physical and mental stimulation to keep them from getting bored. Now that your dog is settling in her new home, this trait may just now be showing.

So, try changing the type of bedding she has, give her late evening workouts, mental/physical stimulation and see if that works for you.

Keep in mind, some dogs just naturally like to rip stuffing out of things. She may be one of them. Gidget is, but the late night workout really stopped it all together

Gidget answered on 4/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

some dogs do this from the shelter. Takes time to adjust and then she could of smelled something in it.
I bought a bed from petsmart and my shelter dog demolished it.! I opened up more to find that they recycled the adult diapers and stuffed the bed with it. ICK. I think sometimes you will find it incredibly gross what manufacturers are putting inside the stuffing of the dog beds if you bought it from there you might want to look at the stuffing.
If she is being destructive secretly who knows. Take it away and offer a towel inside a crate for the time being.