B1tch

My dog has really really bad breath, How can i clean her teeth?

My dog is really great but her breath is disgusting n she always try to kiss me (which i do NOT kiss dogs, it jus cute) but it smells horrible, how do i fix dat?

Asked by B1tch on Feb 19th 2009 Tagged breath in Dental Care

Answers

Start off with a visit to your vet. It may be time for a teeth cleaning. Tartar can cause bad breath and if your dog has build-up, this could be why she is so stinky.

Minty treats are always good because they can freshen the breath. There are many treats you can give which help remove tartar - anything where the dog is doing excessive chewing will help remove some tarter as well.

You can also brush her teeth daily. I will brush my dogs' teeth in the evenings, just once a day, but to help remove the plaque and tartar build-up that comes with eating and no cleaning.

Bad breath is usually relative to poor nutrition (unless she has an infected tooth, or isn't getting enough to chew on to get rid of tartar). What do you feed? You may want to head over to the food and nutrition forum and check out some higher quality foods and see if that doesn't clear it up!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

McKayla

Bad smelling breath is usually the sign of something wrong. There may be excess tarter, or even gum disease. As another person said, it may also be the food.

You will want to get into the vet to make sure it isn't as serious as gum disease, as that can also cause heart problems and other medical issues down the road. Taking care of your pup's teeth is VERY important!

I would recommend brushing the teeth every day, with a canine toothpaste and toothbrush. There are rubber finger brushes (similar to babies) that work good too, and get you closer to their teeth. There are dental pads that contain cholrhexidine which destroys bacteria. There are also mouth washes that you can squirt into your dog's mouth to help break down bacteria and plaque. Talk to your vet about what product would be best.

Regardless of what you choose to do, you MUST be diligent about it! Dental care is NOT something that you can skimp on. Your dog's mouth, health, and life depends on it.

McKayla answered on 6/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shadow

For us, we've had 3 dogs and I think a lot has to do with the food. They have all been fed really good quality food ( chicken 1st ingredient, none of this cheap corn 1st ingre stuff) and unless they ate something bad (one dog liked cat scat...yick) they have all had really good breath (well, for a dog). Trust me, I've had 1000's of kisses, and I've met some other dogs with really stinky breath! (And they have all had lovely shiny coats, no stinky fur, soft and silky without bathing - maybe 1-2 baths a year, they didn't need them)

Shadow answered on 7/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

after a dental cleaning start giving the dog fragaria vesca pellets. it's a strawberry derivative and really helps keep the tartar away.
it really seems to lengthen the time between cleanings.

Chase

Try feeding raw bones, if you're comfortable with that. Beef bones for soup or pork hocks.
Chase is fed raw so she gets all kinds of bones and her teeth are great (the vet actually complimented her teeth) and her breath is pretty good. For a dog's breath, anyway. hahaha

Chase answered on 2/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gia

My Chihuahua eats Milk Bones, they help her teeth/breath, (can't remember which one) and loves them!

Another option is dentastix, I've never tried them but they're treats made just for teeth and breath, you could also go to petsmart I think they have nylabone chew toys for bad breath.

Gia answered on 7/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ellie CGC

I am 10 years old and I have never needed my teeth cleaned by a vet...Cindy's other dogs usually needed a dental cleaning by age 7 or 8, but she started brushing my teeth when I was a pup and now I get a Greenie dental chew every day.
Getting your doggie to chew a dental treat or a chew bone may be easier than introducing tooth brushing at this point. Nutro also makes crunchy teats for dogs that have either berries, carrots, or apple in them that make a doggie's breath smell nice. Cindy even munched one of the berry ones once to check it out - she said it seemed bland to a human cuz there's no sugar in it, but she could taste the berries and the oats especially. And she had berry breath for hours!!! BOL. I like em too, especially the berry.

Ellie CGC answered on 8/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie

has your dog ever had her teeth cleaned at the vet ? besides that, you could try 'greenies',
ya buy 'em at the pet store. my 2 dogs love 'em.

Maggie answered on 12/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lizzie

You can brush your dogs teeth with an old tooth brush and doggy tooth paste. you can also buy or make fresh breath treats. my dog has bad breath too,so i brush her teeth and give her greenies or denta sticks.

Lizzie answered on 1/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's a good idea to get in the habit of cleaning your dog's teeth daily. You can get special canine toothpaste at a pet store, and just purchase a cheap kids' toothbrush. Before you make brushing part of your daily routine, handle her mouth and face a lot during grooming and playtime. Try to reward her with treats when she holds still and lets you touch her muzzle. You can always check with your vet for other ideas and pointers.

just use the dental chews and you'll be all right with your issue and sit back and CHILLAX!