my dog has liver disease and wont eat. any ideas on what i should do?

Asked by Member 793656 on Jan 17th 2009 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Kiki - My Angel Baby Girl

Yes. My Pom Kiki would not eat last February and the vet found that her liver enzyme is high. They put her on Marin and Denosyl but her liver enzyme was still high as of end of December. I discovered that I have been feeding her the wrong food because our vet did not know anything about dog nutrition.

We saw Dr. Dodd and she is now on her liver cleasing diet to heal the liver. About 40% protein of fish (best) or chicken meat (white or dark, no skin), white rice and cooked vegetable and flat leaf parsley. No other meat or organs. No wheat, soy, corn or nut. Give Denamarin once a day. Supplement with Infant Liquid Multi Vitamins. Feed 3 times a day in smaller portions, 1 part morning, 1 part evening and 1/2 portion before bed. You can also contact Dr. Dodd at hemopet@hotmail.com. Her Liver Cleansing diet can be found at

www.canine

Kiki's posting is at

www.dogster.com

GL

Kiki - My Angel Baby Girl answered on 1/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boston

Well poster before me gave a great answer. I do have a site here to that has a great home cooked recipe for dogs with liver disease or liver shunt www.vet.utk.edu
heres another link that also may help you
www.b

Boston answered on 1/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi there. We have gone through a similar issue over the past couple months. We ended up having to get a feeding tube placed in our dogs stomach which helped us nurse her back to health. It is a LOT of work feeding your furry friend through a tube 4x a day but it was worth it when on Xmas Eve she started eating on her own.

We also found that just regular chicken worked to get her eating. We took her off commercial dog foods altogether based on many hours of research online.

We also wanted to mention that it could be she has stomach upset as a result of the liver disease and we added pepcid as well as another drug to help with digestion, etc--ask your vet. This did help a lot now that I think of it.

Checkers

If your dog is suffering from a liver shunt surgery is the best course of action. There is a lot of information HERE www.signaturetrim.com - including links to UT Knox where Dr. Karen Tobias is along with diets, recommended dog foods and supplements

Checkers answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer