My dog has had EXPLOSIVE watery diarrhea now for a few months.

My dog Purebred 5 month old german shepherd has had EXPLOSIVE watery diarrhea now for a few months. she is on cosco brand dog food. and she has been on metronidazole 250 2 x day for 10 days (Thinking it was Giardia?), And i havent even seen a little improvment, PLEASE HELP i have no idea what is wrong with her. I mean its explosive gassy watery and it splaters as it comes out with the gas????

Asked by Member 1000766 on Aug 16th 2010 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Leila

oh my, well for one, I'm not too sure if costco brand food is the best! It all depends on the ingredients, if theres any meal by-product, fillers, etc. Plus if this watery diarrhea has been going on for quite some time, I suggest seeing a vet as soon as possible! Your dog must be going through an uneasy stomach, and not being able to fully be the puppy she is set out to be! So I recommend a vet visit, and mention the food aswell! Good luck!

Leila answered on 8/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buckeye

Get her off the Costco dog food as soon as possible, and feed her a higher quality food. Ty Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Nature's Variety or any other nice food. The Cotco dog food is probably upsetting her stomach. Make a gradual switch to a healthier food. Switch it slowly by putting a little bit of the new food in her bowl, with the Costco food as well. Put a little more of the new food mixed in each day until you can reguarly feed that without her getting an upset stomach.

She should, of course, also see the vet. Diarrhea for a few months can be serious. The vet will help you and give her anything that she needs to make her feel better.

She could be sick, or could just be sensitive to the food she is having. Try to stay away from any dog treats for now. Good luck! I hope she is better soon!

Buckeye answered on 8/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Has she been tested for Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency? Worms, and all the usual GI upset stuff? Might be worth while. Also, switch to another dog food. If she on chicken, switch her lamb or beef or fish, something she hasn't had before. She may be allergic to something in the food. It took us years to figure that out for Kali. Go to a food with less fillers and less or no grain. We have Kali on California Natural Fish & sweet potatoes. She has been healthy since. Good luck!

Pancreatic insufficiency is quite common in young GSD's. I would get her tested for this ASAP. If this is her problem she is not digesting her food well and this is not good for a growing puppy. Treatment is fairly simple with the addition of prescription digestive enzymes to her food. Some shepherds will outgrow this, others need to remain on the drugs for life in order to maintain normal stools.

This may take time to resolve. I'll start here, but recommend starting a thread on Forums so you can update and get feedback. I hope a solution is quick - Poor baby!

Diarrhea in puppies is not unusual. The first step is usually no food for 24 hours to stop "fueling" the diarrhea.

Assuming the diarrhea stops: Feed boiled white rice in small portions. If all goes well add boiled ground meat (ground turkey would be a good choice). Stop if any step causes the diarrhea to return.

Food intolerances are common. Beef, chicken, corn, wheat, soy, eggs and dairy are the top problem foods, roughly in that order.

Antibiotics (like metronidazole) kill good bacteria, she'll need a probiotic.
www.vetinfo.com

Symptoms are not like Giardia, Metronidazole is not the medicine of choice for Giardia anyway - Panacur is.

CPE should be considered, the treatment for CPE is Tylosan powder for several weeks.

She should be tested for Parvo.