Boo (Holly)

My dog has fleas.

My dog Is allergic to fleas. And she has alot and I have tryed everything the vet has gave to me for her but it doesn't help!

Asked by Boo (Holly) on Sep 21st 2009 Tagged mydogisallergictofleas in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

snickers

Get some joy dish sopa and give her a bath once you get the joy on her leave it on her for about 5 mins. It will kill the fleas that is on her but want stop them from geting back on. make sure that the joy it bleach free. My dog Is allergic to fleas to if she gets a flea I give her a bath with joy and it works

snickers answered on 9/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisy

Well I will tell you what Id do if it was my dog that had alot of fleas. Daisy is also allergic to them. Not sure what you all have tried or anything. But first Id get from my clinic a capstar. Costs like 4-6 bucks depending your size. Kills all the fleas that are on the dog now and works for 24 hours so no fleas will be able to go back on your dog. Then Id use earth bath tea tree oil and aloe shampoo found at pet smart. Great for skin issues including flea allergies. Then Id use earth bath creme rinse. Scrub and rinse really well to try to get all the dead and alive fleas off of the dog. Then Id apply something like advantage. This should work. If it doesnt you probably have a house full of fleas and need to take care of that problem to. They like to stay in carpets, rugs, couches... There is spray that you can get for that as well. Or you can just take the easy route and hire a exterminator.

Daisy answered on 9/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

What all have you tried? I never saw any fleas the 5 years I used Revolution on my dogs. I have heard of good results using Advantage, Frontline, and Biospot. Sentinel may not be as good fora dog with flea allergies as some other products.

I would never use Dawn on a dog. It will completely strip off all its natural oils.

I agree, Capstar does a great job knocking down an existing infestation. then switch to one of the better longer term remedies. If your vet doesn't have any of the good stuff, you may need a different vet.

~Sophie~

You have to treat your home also. Sprinkle some Borax on the carpets, couch, whatever she gets on (Borax is in the laundry aisle at the store). Let it sit for a few minutes, then vacuum. Clean EVERYTHING...sheets, dog bed, etc etc. She'll keep getting fleas unless you get them out of your house.

Also, the Capstar is where I would start. Sophie uses K-9 Advantix every month.

~Sophie~ answered on 9/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fleas live in the carpet, furniture and outside lawn and dirt. They jump on the dogs to feed. You need to eliminate both their sleeping space and their food source.
I know a lot of people don't like Frontline or Advantage, but I've had success with them. K9 Advantix, I don't know. That one makes me nervous.
But, you should go to a garden nursery and get a bag of diatomaceous earth. It's a white powder (ground up fossils), harmless and sprinkle it heavily in every inch of your house and furniture. Let it sit for 24 hours and vacuum it up. I did that for a bad flea infestation and within 3 days I never saw another flea. Ever.
Do the same outside. Turn off any sprinkler you have that goes on and cover your lawn with it and let it sit. It sufficates the fleas. They need moisture to live and the D.E. smothers them.
My dog was just in a situation where he came home with fleas. I laundered all his bedding, my sheets/blankets and put a tube of Advantage on him that night. I've not seen one.

Dont waste money of flea control, and dont use products that may be unsafe for your pets health. Here's a very safe alternative and very cheap, and works 100% of the time for any pets you own.
Take a gallon of fresh water and add 5 tablespoons of white organic vinager and mix well. Give that for your pet(s) to drink instead of water from now on and in a few days your pet(s) will be free of fleas forever.

Starbutt

I have a dog that is so alergic to flea bite that he will be bare (NO HAIR) where he has been biting a rubbing himself to stop the itch.

I use COMFORTIS this is GOD SENT I first thought it was a nervousness he had but the vet said it was fleas I gave him first Capster but the thing is this Capstar is only 24 hours and the Comfortis is one chewbale tablet which I find is easier to give and like the advantage or frontline (I used frontline before this which is a very good product) but they are hard to get on the dog, I was exhausted trying to get it on him. Now one pill and it last for one month no fleas no itching and he is outside during the day. It is also cheaper then Frontline.
www.comfortis4dogs.com

The Link is above for you to take a look for yourself.

GOOD LUCK

Starbutt answered on 9/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer