Miss Bailey Emanuel

My dog has cysts on her

My dog had a cyst on her hip. I took her to the Dr. and she said it was an oil gland that fills up and she squeezed it as hard as she could and it went away. Well it's back and hard. Now Bailey has another one about an inch from the first one and a small one on her neck. I'm affraid it could be a cancer that the stupid vet spread when she mushed it. Anyone have this happen to their dog?

I don't know how to answer back so adding to original question. This is not a pimple type that Schnauzers get but as thought I put a pinto or redbean under her skin.

Asked by Miss Bailey Emanuel on Apr 15th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Hello Miss Bailey - Don't worry, this is very common. Place a warm wash cloth, like a compress, on the area a few times per day for 3-4 minutes... Keep an eye on it...
You may want to try a few supplements for her skin and coat health...
1. Add some Vitamin E to her diet..... Just (1) of a 50 IU per day / long term : this is a cat size dosage /very small...Vit E is the one for humans found almost anyplace...
2. Add one teaspoon of olive oil to her food per day / just mix in....good for her coat and skin. ( 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon)
3. Add one NuVET Wafer to her program - Allergy blaster and skin/coat healer
see here: www.nuvet.com
Tell them you saw the link on Dogster from Pet Nurse Marie...
Need more help - here are some resources:
en.allexperts.com

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

What you describe sounds like a Sebacious Gland Cyst. The sebacious gland is an oil gland in the skin near the hair folicle. If it becomes clogged, it can fill up with material and can get surprisingly big.

These cysts should 'pop' relatively easily with pressure or a little puncture (from your nail) and the material that comes out can range from white to gray in color. It can be quite a lot of material and they can get very big.
It can be quite gross.

I would not worry about cancer as cancer growths are typically firm nodules that do not normally secrete material unless they have ulcerated (ie...if a growth has gotten so large the skin containing it has burst ) and cancer does not spread the way you describe.

I would get the other bumps checked out to make sure they are the same thing. Any lumps and bumps should be checked by a vet
If you have questions about this issue, or feel that your vet has overlooked something, get a second opinion that will put your mind at ease.

In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on 4/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't know how old she is. But, sometimes these appear and are not life threatening when they get around 6 yrs. old.
No one should ever pop them in any way this leave them open for all the bacteria in the air to go into it. This can cause a very big problem. It is best to not touch them like that. I am very surprised the vet did that, she should of known not to do that. It is your dog and if you feel they are not oil cysts get a second opinion, but that's what they sound like.
I would also make sure you are not feeding Diamond dogfood or any with corn in it.

My Wheaten Terrier gets quite a few of these. They are sebacious oil gland cysts. They will often rupture on their own. If they do, clean the area throughly with soap and warm water, then apply rubbing alcohol or peroxide to the wound. I used to worry that the alcohol would burn him, but he never seems to mind it. Then apply a polysporian antibacterial ointment to the area. The ointment will often matt down their hair, so its important you re-clean the area frequently and check to insure it has not getting infected. Also try to keep them from licking it. As long as the dog does not develop an infection, the wound will heal on its own just fine. The most important thing is to keep keep the area clean and disinfected. I've had the vet surgically remove them, but only when the dog had to be in for something else as well -- such as a dental. If the vet does remove them, it doesn't hurt to have him have it biopsied just to be on the save side.