My dog has a torn dew claw, What do I need to do for him?

Asked by Member 796161 on Jan 24th 2009 Tagged dog, dewclaw in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

Take him to the vet and ask them what to do, even if it doesn't look very bad now, it may get infected later or be worse than it looks.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oliver

It really depends on how it's been torn. If a lot of the nail came off or if there's just a part hanging he will need to go to the vet for sure. If it's a clean break and just a tiny bit off the end he should be fine as long as you disinfect it thoroughly and keep it clean and dry. You still may want to go to the vet though, just to make sure he's okay.

Oliver answered on 1/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Take him the vet and have them look at it. You may want to consider having them removed if your dog is super active and is likely to tear it again. My dog had two huge dew claws on each back leg and I had one of them removed from each leg. The others that remain have a bone attachment and would be too painful to remove.