My dog has a lump under his skin on his neck under his jaw. What could this be?

The lump is about the size of a nickel. It feels kind of hard , but my dog wont let me touch it to really feel it. It was never there before. He is about 12 years old. He starts to growl if i really touch it. I dont know if its hurting him or not because he acts normally. I cant afford to take him to the vet because its really expensive. I dont want my dog to die just yet. Please help me figure out what this could be .

Asked by Member 665747 on Aug 2nd 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Maggie, Gracie, Trooper

It could be many many things, but a few possibilities are: a fatty tumor, which is not dangerous, lymphoma which is a type of cancer, or maybe just a bug bite-if it is a bite, it will go down in a day or so. How long have you noticed it? Since it is hard, I would certainly take him to the vet. If you can't afford it, contact dog rescue groups in your area, and ask if they know of a good vet that will allow small payments until your bal is pd., or one that is good but less expensive. There is also something called CareCredit. It is a credit card just for veterinary visits. you can call a vet office and find out how to apply. Many vets accept the card.
An experienced vet will probably be able to narrow the possibilites with just an exam, and then you can go from there. Good luck, I'll be thinking about you and wishing you the best.

Maggie, Gracie, Trooper answered on 8/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer