Elsa Pei

my dog gets into everything when we arnt home. separation anxiety?

my one year old shar pei. freaks out and gets into everything when no one is home. we have another dog that she plays with all day and never gets bored or gets into anything while we are home. but as soon as she knows or thinkgs no one is home shes into anything you could ever think of. can anyone help me? dads pretty close to making me get rid of my babygirl she doesnt mean harm at all!

Asked by Elsa Pei on Apr 4th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Use a crate when you aren't there.

Gidget

What a precious little girl you have. Pictures are so cute. She looks so cuddly.

If she isn't left alone too long at a time, you could try putting a pen up for her, for when no one is home. Be sure someone will let her out as soon as they get home though. Cages are no life for a dog.

If there is a specific place in the house that you can close them off in, that would work too.

I have found that the destructive nature of all my dogs simply stop after a while. I guess they either get use to it, or they just grow out of it. 3 of my 4 dogs did this.

I would scold them, and tell them bad. They knew when they did something bad too. I made sure all items of value were completely out of reach before leaving, and after about 6 months of this, they just seemed to stop doing it.

So if you can hang in there, I'll bet Elsa will stop too. Get your dad involved with her, so he too will fall in love with her and not be able to get rid of her. (Sneaky but effective) LOL

Good luck

Gidget answered on 4/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

duke davis

yup! my dog duke does the same thing it's either that or bored

duke davis answered on 4/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

I would try crating Elsa Pei when you aren't home. Mom has to do this with my little brother because he also gets into EVERYTHING and makes a huge mess if Mom lets him roam around the house when she isn't here! He loves his crate and Mom even catches him sleeping in there when the door is left open!

Maverick answered on 4/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

puppy proof your house.
It could be just a habit too of going on a treasure hunt for food. Try hiding kongs filled with treats in rooms and hide bisquits under things that can of course by easily pulled out to encourage good hunting not bad garbage digging.

If a dog is not at a point in their training and maturity that they are trustworthy home alone, they should still be crated. Some dogs need to be crated up until their third birthday or more before they get past that stage.

Riley

We kept Riley crated until we knew we had the bedroom completely puppy proofed. We blocked off wires with cardboard boxes, put anything he shouldn't have up high where he couldn't reach and cleaned it up really well.
After that was done we just had to wait until he was old enough to stay inside for the time we were gone and not have any accidents. Keeping him in his crate also helped train him for this.
After that was all done with, we let him have the room for the day, and kept the door closed. He isn't confined and his toys are all there for him to play with instead of getting into things.

I don't know if you needed that much information but I hope that some of it helped. I think it would be much easier to puppyproof one room really well and be confident in Elsa not being able to get into everything.
Also, if you put on a radio or the tv it helps with seperation anxiety.

Riley answered on 4/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer