Seth

my dog eats he poop, is there something i can put in his food that will make him stop eati his poop pineapple didnt work

my 1 and a half year old golden retriever eats his own poop. i triend the pineapple in his food, and it did not work

Asked by Seth on Dec 5th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Dahlia

Some folks swear by MSG sprinkled in the food, making the poop taste bad.

Dahlia answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shiver Me Timbers

I'm not entirely sure if it's true, but a lot of people have told me if a dog is eating his poop, it can be a sign of him not getting a nutrient he requires in his diet. However, dogs that are bored will also eat their poop.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Farley

MSG is an excitotoxin and should be thoroughly avoided.

Seth, what food are you currently eating? Check out this article. It mentions how diet can sometimes relate to stool-eating. www.b

Farley answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

K-10 Von Canein

What a smart dog you have! Your smart dog knows that dog poop, even its own, is safer to eat than the kibble you are feeding him. I'd bet if you buy and feed a super high quality food, this behavior will stop. Did you know that many cheaper and common brands of dog food include dead dogs, cats, rotting cattle, plastic bags, used motor oil, dead zoo animals, etc? Not to mention, most contain cancer causing ingredients as well! Any kibble that lists a grain, such as corn, wheat, rice, etc, is killing your beloved Seth. Do some research, change the diet, and your Seth will stop doing this! Good places to research would be dogfoodanalysis.com, dogster raw forum, etc. Good luck. Who wants to kiss a dog that just ate a poo?

K-10 Von Canein answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

sometimes when I try to post link like this:

www.upco.com

For stool eating. A safe good tasting tablet to eliminate coprophagia in dogs. 1 per 10 lbs.

for some reason the link won't work for the product. Enter "coprophagia" in the website(UPCO) search box and the product will come up.

don't know why posts which answer questions and solve problems EASILY and inexpensively, cause my computer to crash...hmmm well, I'm trying again.
This site has a product that will solve your problem, and save your dogs health for less than $10.00 (shipping not included).
Hope it posts this time!

Maverick

Don't worry. Go to your local pet store and
go to the supplement isle. The will have corophogia tablets. Follow the directions on the back of the box for the proper dosage for Seth. These will make his poop taste bad so that he will learn that it doesn't taste good.

Maverick answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

How on earth someone here knows what kibble you feed is beyond me!

But it's true that some inferior dog food can cause some dogs to eat their own feces. What happens is that the food goes through so quickly and no nutrients are absorbed. The dog is still hungry and since it passed through quickly, the feces smells primarily like his food. So you have a hungry dog who just "made" some food.

If you feed a higher quality food, and if the dog is in good health, I don't think this should be an issue. I'd recommend upgrading his food if you think you need to and having him checked out at the vet (esp if this is a recent development.) Having a full blood panel done can show any nutritional deficiencies. Assuming he's healthy, the best way to stop this is to......pick up the poop as soon as he goes!

I agree with most of the above answers.
But the best and easiest solution:

CLEAN UP HIS POO FAST!

It's just plain common sense here. Also, teach him the "Leave It" command, so even if he's far away and he turns around and tries to eat it, you can say "Leave It" and he'll leave it alone and go play. If you want help with the Leave it command, just PM me!
I hope this helps!
~ Rosie

Boo

Rosie, you're a dog after my own heart.

I can't imagine leaving poop on the ground anywhere, let alone in my own yard. Yuck

Improving the quality of the food you feed your pup certainly goes a long way in preventing this problem along with picking up the poop right away.

Boo answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Deter and Forbid usually don't work. Their is also potty mouth now.
I never had luck with my old dog. The best thing to do is follow the dog out every day and clean it up as soon as it comes out.
I have a 5 gallon bucket with bag inside and a pooper scooper.
Try also cutting out his treats he can smell the extra stuff in it and then re-eat the poo

Hi guys - try some cooked zucchini mixed into his meals - it works for most of our dogs and guests....
also, make sure he is on a good balanced diet -
see here about the zucchini: - 2-3 tablespoons per day for your sized dog?
en.allexperts.com

Duncan

Dogs often eat their own poop because it's rich in protein (side note, cat food is so rich in protein that cat's can't digest it goes through them and makes their poo irresistable to dogs. that's why your dog wants cat poop.)

As the other person above said it's probably a low quality food so your dog can't absorb all of the nutrients - he's trying to re-eat them. I highly suggest feeding raw, or at least a highly digestible good brand of food. My mom's dog used to do that on one of the grocery store brands and now he eats the same raw food as our dogs and doesn't even try to eat his own poo.

Duncan answered on 12/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's not necessarily true that providing a better diet will solve the problem. High quality diets that are very nutrient rich can also lead to dogs eating their own poop. If their systems digest too quickly, they don't extract the full nurtition from the food, and will eat it again as a nutrition source. Don't let these people guilt trip you about your dog's diet! (unless you are feeding crappy food)