My dog doesn't like our roomate. He growls every time comes in the room, then hides. What to do?

We've had dog & room mate since dog was puppy. They got along great. Then room mate went on long vacation & now our dog seems to hate him. Everytime roomie comes in, or if the dog THINKS he hears him, dog growls and goes to hide. Is he afraid of our roommate and what can we do?

Asked by Member 1031430 on Apr 21st 2011 Tagged growling in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Get a new roommate. BOL

This is not normal behavior, dogs don't forget or become annoyed if someone is gone a long time.

I suggest a trip to the Vet to check his thyroid or other medical problem.

some great answers so far.
Also, he went on long vacation? maybe he did some things on vacation that your dog can smell. Like alchol, scents of where he was, maybe he was around other animals. I will say it also, some dogs do smell recreational drugs. I use to train with some drug smelling k9's and they can pick up on that stuff. Once the drugs are in, they alter the person's system, that a whole new subject, but had to just mention it.
Then maybe the dog is just sensitive and doesn't like him for whatever reason.
My dog tends to be like that, she would rather be with me only, she's a one person owner. I like her like that.
I'm not sure what you could do I am just guessing really. Depends on how much you want your dog to like him. ;)