my dog does not eat dog food, how do I make him eat it.

My brother in law was with us for more than an year, during that time he constantly gave my dog (now 6 months old) human food (burritos, rice anything we eat). We have told him not too but he gave it any way.

Now my dog does not eat his dry food , he does not even eat wet food from can. I am worried for him because he has become so thin (as I was insisting he eats dry food not human food)

Is there any advice I can get from community how to make him eat his dry food?

Second question is what home made food can I give him (he is a 6 months old boxer X Australian Shepard)

Asked by Member 490439 on Dec 18th 2007 Tagged food, dryfood, homemadefood in Pet Food

Answers

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA,

If you are interested in a home-prepared diet, both raw and home cooked are viable alternatives to kibble/canned. There are forums for each that would be worth checking out, in addition to some great groups.

Have you taken your dog to the vet to ensure there are no medical problems? Tooth decay that makes eating painful/difficult?

I have heard that some people mix a bit of warm water with dry food and that may help. You could try mixing the canned with the dry, and see if that helps as well.

What is his favorite food? Could you mix with his kibble and slowly decrease the amount of non-kibble?

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~

I don't know what brands you are feeding, but the only thing I can think of is to buy some really good quality dog food. Merrick's is the one that comes to mind. They have a lot of flavors that all dogs seem to love, and they have human-grade meat, veggies and rice. You can try warming it up a little. Of course there are other great brands, but that is the one that seems to be no-fail. (I'm talking about their canned foods, I haven't tried the dry)

If you are willing to feed homemade, it is probably the best way since that is what he is used too. I do not know any dog that has gone back to dry kibble after a regular diet of people food. There is a Homemade Food forum here on dogster, that is a great resource.

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~ answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shinji

Yeah, Merrick's canned food is really good. It has human-grade meats and vegetables and isn't very expensive. Shinji also eats Merrick kibble, which he likes a lot, too. The kibble can make "gravy" if you add warm water, so that may be an option, too. You could try mixing the two together and then gradually take away the canned if you only want to feed dry.

You could also look into raw or home cooked dog food.

If he doesn't start eating soon, take him to the vet. I know he was spoiled by human food, but a healthy dog won't starve himself to death. There may be another reason for the hunger strike.

Shinji answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Isolde Madchen

I had a 6 month old that was brought to me for the same reason. It was spoiled on human food and the people could not get it to eat dog food -- that is why they started givinghim the humans. I bought cheap can cat food and hotdogs.

I started out with slicing and cooking 2 hotdogs in the microwave for for about a minute and a half. Then I would mix whatever juice and the hotdogs with a coffee cup of dry for and water. I let it set for about 20 minutes -- that soften the food to where buster could not pick through it. Believe me, he will eat it.

Second week, I gave him 1 hotdog, but instad of adding the water, I added a cheap can of cat food and mixed it well. He will eat eat.

Third week, leave out the hotdog, add the can cat food and 1/2 can of dog food.

fourth week, leave out the cat food and just add the can dog food.

If you want to get him down to just dry after the 4th week, decrease weekly by a 1/4 of can.

Happy Holidays,

Isolde Madchen answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Buddy

Sometimes it is as easy as simply getting them interested in the food. My dog does not eat when he misses someone (if they are on vacation and what not) so I just play with the food a little bit. Sit on the floor by his bowl and just toss a piece every now and then, or stur the food with you hand a little bit. Also, the toys that dispense food may also be a way to get him used to the dog food. For now though, I think the big thing is to stop giving him people food.

Buddy answered on 12/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jackie Poo, NPC

it's not uncommon for a dog to reject "dog food" when he has been feeding off of other, taster foods. Our podengo came to us that way, only she prefered live animals.
There are several home-cook recipes online (www.thepoop.com You may also try raw, which is the way we went. We now feed whole small animals to our dogs from the butcher (rabbit, duck, quail, fish...).

Jackie Poo, NPC answered on 12/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Aubree

i would stay away from the cat food my vet has told me that the protien level is way to high for dogs.

Aubree answered on 12/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer