My dog caught & ate a whole baby rabbit. Any thing I need to watch for or consider? I know this is very natural but....

Asked by Member 836307 on May 18th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Make sure he is on a monthly wormer like interceptor or something as wild animals carry parasites.
Some rabbits carry Warbles, I don't know if they are ingested if they can live inside your dog.
And I don't know if the Tularemia disease through direct contact with blood can be like that of humans coming into contact with their blood.
I think a very good vet could answer those two questions.
Warbles are worms that are caused by rabbits eating their eggs on vegetation. They get kind of big and move about then come out of the body. I think a preventative would be wise as I would imagine it kills things like this.

Dieta answered on May 19th.

Answers

If he's not used to eating raw food like that, then he may have a stomach ache and some diarhea (sp) and possibly do a bit of vomiting. Such is normal in this case, just as such is to be expected when switching brands of dog food.

Your dog will be fine!...That's prey model raw feeding at it's best! : )

Pookie

The problem I see is your dog possibly getting tapeworm(Taenia pisiformis), as rabbits carry it. To be safe worm your dog. Look for a Praziquantel wormer.

Pookie answered on 5/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The primary concern with any wildlife that your dog may consume are parasites, such as worms. It's recommended that, if your dog catches something and proceeds to eat it, you worm your dog, to avoid any problems with parasites.

Beyond that, you are quite likely to see a bout of diarrhea, as this is common in dogs not accustomed to raw foods, especially if they are on a kibble diet. If your dog develops diarrhea, make sure to offer him fresh water at all times to prevent dehydration, and add plain, canned pumpkin into his food, as this will help "firm things up".

Max (aka Sebastian)

I would visit your vet for the wormer, you shouldn't need an appointment or office visit, just tell them you need a wormer, wormers over the counter often do not work well on some types of worms even though the labels say they do. When max caught a baby rabbit last month I went to the vet to get the wormer, it cost me about $14 so not to bad.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 5/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

Like somebody else said, if he's not used to eating raw stuff, it may give him an upset stomach etc. but pretty much will NOT hurt him.
My kibble-fed Jack Russell used to catch rabbits all the time and eat them, never had a problem.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 5/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer