My dog bites us when we show affection....

My husband and I recently adopted a 2 year old Border collie mix from a local rescue organization. She is very friendly, affectionate, and does not bark. But, any time my husband and I hug or show any kind of affection towards each other she lunges at me (or him) and bites us! I was so shocked.... she is always so sweet....what can we do to break her of this new habit?

Asked by Member 1082621 on Jan 7th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Harley

It appears that at present - she does not respect her place in your pack! Make sure you're firm in all others areas... when she makes these moves, immediately turn your back and withhold any positive rewards. Set up scenarios so you can practice this. Little things like having her wait until you say she can eat, going first through doors and down stairs, possibly keepin her off the bed, etc will cement her position in the pack. I've found positive reinforcement to work best rather than trying to correct the behavior. Being a working dog, its also crucial to keep her stimulated and working...it gives them confidence. Perhaps getting her involved in flyball or agility so she has an outlet could also prove helpful. Hope you're able to work things out!

Harley answered on 1/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is not an alpha thing.
Someone who knows better than me please come and correct me if I'm wrong, but here is my opinion:

Dogs don't view hugging as a friendly gesture, you know? Going for the neck is actually part of how dogs fight--they see it as threatening. My dogs never enjoyed being hugged, though they put up with it.
What are the other sort of affectionate gestures you're speaking of? How recent was the adoption?

From what I see here I'd just build up some trust with her.

That said, what the other user suggested--NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free), is a good method and I do recommend it, but I don't think it'll fix this as it's not a dominance issue.