My dog bit another dog at the dog park

I have a 2 year old retriever mix- she's been through lots of socializing classes and generally, does quite well with other dogs.

Tonight, my wife and I were playing with her rope toy at the dog park, and another dog rushed him, presumably, to take the rope.

She kind of "rolled" the dog, as in grabbed the nape of it's neck and rolled over. While there was lots of growling and barking, there was no apparent damage to the other dog- no blood or abrasions that I could see. But the owner of this dog FREAKED out. He started cursing and yelling, and wrote down my license plate number. I offered to exchange information, in case he needed to get a hold of us, but he just told us to back off and left.
I am totally happy to pay for vet bills, if it proves necessary, but now I am worried that the city may attempt to impound my dog.
Should also mention that she has had no previous incidents whatsoever, and is truly a very sweet girl.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Asked by Member 1151063 on Jan 20th 2013 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

Ted

She probably got startled and didn't expect another dog to suddenly charge in to grab 'Her rope(Claimed object.)' So she snapped out of mostly surprise, I assume. Nothing to worry about... Just make sure your dog is more aware of its surroundings when playing tug-a-war. When you see another dog approaching, stop the tug-a-war game and let your dog investigate the other dog(Sniff) before continuing. That way, she wont be startled and will know when another dog is coming or not. Its what I would do... Take it to thought and try it out. Good luck.~

Ted answered on 1/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Most dog parks do not allow toys from home for this reason. Perhaps the owner of the other dog was so upset because this is also a rule at your dog park?
I would strongly suggest leaving your dogs own toys home in the future to prevent another incident like this.

First off..I would not worry too much about repercussions. There is usually due process where a dog will be labelled "Dangerous" & owner restrictions put in place. But from your description it does not sound like blood was drawn, so it would be difficult to prove. You handled it responsibly by offering to pay vet bills.
I agree with Toto..toys & treats are among the top causes of dog park fights. It sounds like resource guarding, not a startle. Either way, her response is unacceptable.
Not all dogs are dog park candidates. If she is more focused on playing with you than the other dogs, perhaps find a quieter park to play with her & forego the dog park. Or go when it is not so busy.