my dog attacks dogs through the fence.why is he doing that??????????

my border collie/dalmatian mix specky,was attacking this chihuahua mix through the fence along with my other dogs attacking the chihuahua to,why are they doing that my dog specky tried to bite me when i tried to stop him,please give me answers to this.

Asked by Member 824516 on Apr 12th 2009 Tagged mydogisattackingdogsthroughthefence in Aggression

Best Answer

They are fence fighting, you have to make your dogs stop, probaly have to physically go out and block the fence line.
You will have to teach them not to do it.
They are trying to protect the yard, but it is not good to let them keep doing it.
If your other dogs are big you wouldn't want them to jump over and do anything.
maybe he tried to bite if you grabbed the collar. dogs will do that if they are intense. I would not grab him as this is a reinforcement, I would physically teach him to back up and what the command back means then stare at him make him sit, wait for calm, take his collar snap leash on and he gets a time out in crate, in time he will learn from you to stop. I don't know if you yard is board fence, but that would be good ideal.

Dieta answered on Apr 13th.

Answers

They're being territorial, basically saying "Stay off my turf!". It's normal. Please note that just because a dog barks, growls, and snarls does not necessarily equal an attack. A dog attack would involve biting and fighting. I've never heard of dogs biting each other through a fence unless there was a hole in it.

As for him trying to bite you, it was because he was caught up in the moment. So busy focusing on the other dog that when you touched him, it startled him, provoking a bite.